Portable Engelbart

“We refer to a way of life in an integrated domain where hunches, cut-and-try, intangibles, and the human “feel for a situation” usefully co-exist with powerful concepts, streamlined terminology and notation, sophisticated methods, and high-powered electronic aids.”

Basically, our life and daily activities are facilitated by mechanical aids. Relating back to my inquiry project, in essence we need technology now because of the era we live in, but the key is to limit our usage in a way our brains can stay healthy, optimized, and productive.

“First any possibility for improving the effective utilization of the intellectual power of society’s problem solvers warrants the most serious consideration. This is because man’s problem-solving capability represents possibly the most important resource possessed by a society.”

This is just beautiful to me. It is exactly what I have been saying all along, that we must preserve the human mind before it’s too late. The brain is our most valuable piece of technology. We should aim to help keep it at its peak throughout our lives.