Where You Can Be Yourself, By Being Someone Else

When you walk down the street and see someone talking to themselves you probably think in your head “this person is crazy”, right? Well my whole life I’ve walked around thinking that even as a theater student, because lets be real we all are crazy! But I realized one day while sitting in an audition room waiting for my name to be called, people were talking to themselves, pacing, sitting, talking to a wall. I then realized that the people that we see talking to themselves are most likely Theatre students trying to memorize lines or their monologues. So next time you see someone talking to themselves don’t judge.

Photo Credits: Cassandra Cooper, picture of the Altria Theater

I am currently a VCU arts theatre performance major. I absolutely love the theater program and I decided to follow my dreams to become an actress. Theater is very competitive and not steady but you create friendships in theater. Friendships that last forever. Friendships that give you constructive criticism, but for your own good. You create relationships with people that broaden your career path. Music, art, theater its all beauty. All the world’s a stage. You may be scared to choose theater as a career path, I was too. Even the most talented people don’t study theater because its out of the normal. Its not a steady job, after one show is over you have to find another one. But if its something you love, you take the risk. Theatre is were you can be yourself by being someone else.

(Photo Credits: Mariah Batten, a picture of Preston Peters taken in Lincoln, Nebraska. Sound Credits: Mariah Batten, Preston Peters Monologue for his VCU audition “Fiddler on the Roof”)

You can be the doer, or you can be the watcher. While most watch, some do. Singing, acting, and dancing are passions for a lot of people. Some get to live their dreams, and some aren’t good enough. Anyone could work hard enough to get good enough but most give up. The ones who give up usually are watching. In the musical,”Fiddler on the Roof”, which is the monologue above, the poor old man works very hard every day but never gets enough money to be happy but he stays happy because his tradition is kept. After his family breaks traditions he was happier in the end because his family is happy. He was a hard worker and a doer and in the end he got what he wanted. So what do you want to be? Are you settling, or following your dreams? Are you a doer or a watcher?

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Photo Credits: Jordan Goodman, Performance headshot for VCUarts

Elisabeth Mariah Batten is a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, where she double majors in performance Theatre and Elementary Education. She graduated from Lee-Davis high school where she participated in many extracurricular activities such as plays, musicals, VTA, ITS, ITS president, mascot, and many shows outside of school. Mariah enjoys performing in musicals and plays that include singing, dancing, and acting. The arts program appealed to Mariah because of its amazing opportunities and mass expansion of knowledge she could gain from it. Mariah has lived in Mechanicsville Virginia her whole life, so she is very familiar to the VCU area. Her favorite thing to do in Richmond is explore Belle Isle with her close friends and go swimming.

The Theatre is where you can be yourself by being someone else. You create friendships in theater. Friendships that last forever. Friendships that give you constructive criticism, but for your own good. You create relationships with people that broaden your career path. Music, art, theater its all beauty. All the world’s a stage.

You can be the doer, or you can be the watcher. While most watch, some do. Singing, acting, and dancing are passions for a lot of people. Some get to live their dreams, and some arn’t good enough. Anyone could work hard enough to get good enough but most give up. The ones who give up usually are watching. So never give up, because if you work hard enough and set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

The search for intelligent life in the universe

Here we are standing on the corner of walk, don’t walk.

You look away from me trying not to catch my eye, but you didn’t turn quick enough did you?

You don’t like that i scratch so much, but i scratch so much because my neurons are on fire!

And maybe my looks are at their pepsident best, but thats because i think my caps somehow have gotten osteoporosis.

And maybe you see my eye twirling around like fruit flies, but their better to see you with my dearies.

Look at me X3 You babylonian brained lunk heads, I’m not just talking to you, I’m talking to you too, and you ,and you, and especially you.

I know what you all are thinking, you are thinking that I’m crazy.

You are thinking that i give a hoot!

You people look at my shopping bags call me crazy because i collect this junk? Then what do you call the people who buy it?

It is my belief that everyone once in their lifetime ask themselves the question, am i crazy? And in my case the answer came back a resounding YES!

This monologue is from the one woman show, “The Search For Intelligent Life In The Universe”. I chose this monologue because its a piece of my heart, I believe that everyone does ask themselves that at least once in their life. This is my favorite monologue because its so much fun and crazy!

Ad Populum

“the arguer takes advantage of the desire most people have to be liked and to fit in with others and uses that desire to try to get the audience to accept his or her argument”

Since the man likes the doritos, so does the baby, therefore the claim is everybody loves doritos, even babies are born so that they can eat them. There is a bandwagon effect in this commercial because the baby thinks thats what “cool” people want, and thats what “everyone wants”.

“The Lockdown”

“The book is also galvanizing white readers, including some who might question its portrayal of the war on drugs as a continuation of race war by other means.“The book is helping white folks who otherwise would have simply dismissed that idea understand why so many people believe it,” said David M. Kennedy, director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. “It is making them take that seriously.” MARCH 6, 2012)

Hello world!

Welcome to Rampages.us.

This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.

A For Adventure - Wonder - Jackson Ward