Blog Post #1 – Mariam Tareq

In the last five weeks of this course, I really started to think more about how much mental health impacted everyones day to day life and especially mine. It shined a light on how important it is to recognize the things that are getting in your way of happiness. In the first week we were introduced to a quote by Lee Tolstoy, “If you want to be happy, be” and it was something that really resonated with me personally. The key model was interesting to me because although it was such a simple chart, it was something that anyone was able to relate to and compare their mental health to regardless of the spectrum they may be on. It really highlights that even someone that struggles with high mental health disorders can still rich a high flourishing level on the spectrum and someone who may have a low mental health level and still fall into the low flourishing areas. Something I never really considered when I thought about the personality of someone was their genetics and how that may have been part of shaping them. I knew some mental health was connected to genes but I didn’t really consider all of the possible ways genes could come into play. When thinking about this, I thought about myself and people I knew that were able to push past the cards they were dealt genetically and how they’ve learned to overcome challenges in their life that were impacted by mental health. It’s also so important to understand where toxic or negative energy in your life may be coming from and learn to eliminate that in order to grow and thrive into the best and happiest version of yourself. This really ties to the last week we have had in class, discussing our personal strengths and where they came from. After taking the survey and getting my results back I noticed how a lot of my top five and bottom five really were a result of what has been going on in the last year of my life and it comes to show that we are always growing and changing as people and there are many different aspects that can influence who we are.

POST COMMENTED ON:

SIJAGR1

SCHERERTJ

7 Replies to “Blog Post #1 – Mariam Tareq”

1. That quote also really stuck with me, ‘If you want to be happy, be’, and I think that way you addressed it was perfect. We do not realize that happiness is within our reach and there’s simple things we can all do get there.

2. I definitely agree with you when you said that just because someone suffers from a mental health disorder doesn’t mean they can’t still flourish, because suffering from a mental disorder does not define people.