Few on top, everyone else on the bottom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walt_Disney_Company

I love Disney. I grew up with their magical movies and that little castle lighting up my screen. I have always heard that only 6 companies own the vast majority of all the networks, which is incredibly disturbing and an excellent example of Dahrendorf. The impact the media has on people’s lives is overwhelming and the fact that only 6 companies, 6 white, elite males own all the media, which sends endless messages into our little minds. According to this convenient Wikipedia page along with several other sites Disney owns ABC, ESPN, A and E and several other networks including some news networks. Disney owning such networks as ESPN does not really bother me, but Disney owning news networks I find fairly disturbing much like 6 men owning the vast majority of televised media. I am sure that Disney owns so many more things it would blow my mind. The main point though is that so few people own so much of everything. 1% own almost all the wealth in this country and the rest of us just beat up on each other while the elite continue to thrive. It is sad and disturbing. Another example is Google with their endless monitoring of everyone’s motions and thoughts. These examples along with the empire that is Disney all follow along with Dahrendorf and his theory of how it all seems to be owned by the same people where we just seem to be stuck following along the lines. It all appears to be an incredible strategy to keep those on top and keep everyone down.

mayshv

2 thoughts on “Few on top, everyone else on the bottom

1. Hey,

So I saw your last sentence about it seeming like the same people always stay on top, and it made me think of something: Most people who make it to the top actually don’t stay there for long, but the one’s who do stay have generally been there for a while. Dr. Johnson was right to say in class the other day that the wealthy at the top usually get insecure about their position, whether justified or not (case in point: during the best of times economically). She was right to point that out in the sense that, given the reality that few people who make it to the top stay there, they will do whatever they can to try to stay. Don’t get me wrong, they’re sitting pretty regardless, but the wealthiest Americans’ income and wealth are extremely volatile, since so much of their worth is in risky financial markets. All that being said, I think a part of the reason why we see so many of these coordinated associations is to keep the same ol’ heads in place. They keep the inequality that keeps us all in our so-called place operating “smoothly”. Investors will occasionally make it to the top rungs, but without the same kinds of ownership (the kinds of capitalists Marx described) that the very, very, very top 1% have, they’re in an extremely precarious position and typically don’t stay at the top for long. The difference between them and the true owners is surprisingly stark. The very peak of the top don’t like newcomers much, and they’ve rigged the game to keep it that way. So you’re very right. The same people really do stay at the top, and it’s precisely because they own everything. And as recessions keep happening, and becoming worse and worse, they capture more of the gains, leaving us to fight over what’s left, and to have such a large impact that our longrun measures for the future have actually had to be reduced because of how much that they took home! From us!

Sorry for the rant.

2. When I started reading about how Disney owns news networks, I thought you were going to tie that into something like: Disney, who produces fairytales, owns the organizations that are supposed to be communicating our reality––not fairytale. But, either way, I don’t think I will every understand how a very small group of people can own the vast majorities. How do less people determine how the greater amount of people live their lives. It’s kind of crazy.