Linked Barabasi

Barabasi talks about how networks are found everywhere. I didn’t realize that networks could be found in math and science, that is talked about in this book. I had an understanding that networks were mainly related to computers, but what this book is trying to say, is that networks are more than that. The use of nodes and links are used when it comes to talking about networks. An example would be a computer, which has wires, the wires are the links. When we go on the internet, that is an example of a connection. The internet is a way to get information out easily and spread to many people at once.

This picture shows nodes and links in a social network.

https://www.projectrhea.org/rhea/index.php/Walther_MA279_Spring2016_topic4

Barabasi looked at Euler’s work on graph theory, which allowed nodes to be shown on a bell curve or normal curve, just like we would see with graphs in math. He also found that hubs are where nodes are connected.

This picture is a great representation of social networks. It shows the nodes and links. https://www.slideshare.net/8of12/social-network-analysis-for-competitive-intelligence

Barabasi also mentioned the six degrees of separation. Meaning, chances are if we know six people that we will most likely know another six people that they know. This means that the people are the nodes and when they interact with each other, that connection between them becomes a link. I am not sure I completely agree with this. Since there are so many networks that one person can be a member of, it is unlikely that they will know people from outside social networks that they don’t regularly interact with. For example, if I know six people from work, chances are, I won’t know six other people that they know outside of work. While networks are everywhere, I don’t think networks are that small.

I did find it interesting how networks are found practically everywhere. Where I do agree with Barabasi, is when he talks about how technology will continue to improve. Even from the time this book was written to now, there have been many advances that have been seen over the years, this will continue to happen.