About Me

Hello! My name is Mary Debolt and I am currently a student of physical therapy at Virginia Commonwealth University.  I am originally from Northern Virginia and graduated from Shenandoah University in 2021 with a B.S. in Exercise Science.

My initial introduction to the field of physical therapy was through a sports medicine class I took in high school where I was introduced to the different allied health fields. Staying active, whether through sports, hikes, or working out, has always been a huge component of my life. I found physical therapy intriguing because it combined my passion for sports and exercise with my interests in science and physiology. As I got the opportunity to shadow, I was amazed at the patient-therapist relationships I observed during each session. I saw how the time spent with each patient in this field is significantly more extensive compared to other healthcare careers, which puts us at a unique position to make an impact on these patients in more ways than just physical. I could see the direct impact these therapists were having on their patient’s quality of life and that is what inspired me to pursue this path.

As I learn more about the different settings in PT, I am becoming increasingly interested in acute care and neurology. I am excited to continue to learn more through my time at VCU and get the opportunity to have a positive impact in my community!