Welcome

Hello and welcome to my teaching e-portfolio.

My name is Melanie Gin and I am a student currently attending VCU, Virginia Commonwealth University, in hopes of obtaining a masters in Education with bachelors in Early Elementary Education and a minor in Spanish Language.

Learning and education has always been a large part of my life. Ever since I was young, I have always loved to learn and explore the world, both in and out of school. I come from a large family, many of whom are teachers themselves, that has always strived to grow, learn, and understand all of the wonderous things that are around us, from rocks in the dirt to the stars in space. I hope to one day pass this passion and love of learning onto my own students and help keep this drive to know and love of learning alive.

In terms of hands-on experience within a classroom setting, I have had many different opportunities to work with students from many different backgrounds and walks of life.

I am currently employeed as a preschool teacher at a preschool in Midlothian, Midolthian Kids Academy, and have had a chance to work with and teach all levels of preschool from infants to 4-5 preschoolers.

I have also worked within elementary settings as well. My first elementary placement was with third-grade at C.C. Wells Elementary in Chesterfield county. Here, I gained my first real insight into what it means to be a teacher as I had a chance to observe, work with, and better understand how to run a classroom during math and language arts.

My subsequent placements both took place at Spring Run Elementary in Chesterfield county with second and third grade. With both of these placements, I gained more experience with working with students, having a chance to try real lesson plans and activities that I had created with the students for multiple different subjects. I also had a chance to better foster relationships with the teachers at the school and see, with staff meetings and teacher interactions, just how a team of teachers work together to make sure that the year runs smoothly and efficiently.

Outside of these larger placements, I have had multiple, smaller scale ones as well. I have had a chance to work one-on-one with a fifth grade student on language arts at Glen Lea Elementary in Henrico.  I have also had the chance to be a teaching assistant for several different, university level courses, including being a teaching assistant for a children’s literature course.

These are some of the experiences that I have had working with students, of all ages and walks of life. I hope to use what I have learned from these experiences and my time at VCU to better help future students with their learning, as well as continue to grow and learn myself. Thank you for viewing my portfolio.