TEDU 411 – Week 5 Blog Post

In my own opinion, I believe that creativity and intelligence go hand in hand. Both are concepts stemming from within one’s own mind, and both can be cultivated and grown. I feel as though to be intelligent, one must have creativity. They have to be able to not only know what they are working with, through basic fact and information knowledge, but how to grow their knowledge of whatever they may be tackling at the time as well. Being creative does not only apply to artists or those who partake in fine arts. It applies to everyone. One has to have creativity to be able to work around obstacles and form new, invigorating ways to gain results from their work or even come across new results entirely. To be intelligent, one must be creative, and vice versa. I feel that anyone who has the capacity to implement creativity into their thinking, is intelligent. They have the mental ability to assess a situation, any situation, and work it into something they can either succeed at or grow from.

The notions of creativity and imagination are captured in quite a few SOLs. Obviously, they are a focus in the fine arts SOLs for all grade levels, but outside of that, they are also prevalent in the core subjects as well. Both can be seen in Math and English especially. For example, in English 4.7 students actually engage with creating detailed, narrative essays. These require that students use creativity and their imagination to come up with stories, ideas, settings, and characters that may not even exist. They have to consider what to put into their text to not only create an interesting and cohesive narrative, but also one that aims to fulfill whatever goal the teacher has for them, which more often than not retains to the content they are learning in areas like social studies. In math, like with 2.6, students have to use their imagination to craft different patterns and use them to better understand how such things are formed in our world, by people or by nature. It takes creativity and one’s imagination to be able to create a pattern different to one that is presented, and even more so to then understand how it might play apart in the world around us. To be frank, I feel as though imagination and creativity are prevalent in all the SOLs, at least to some extent, and can be readily cultivated by a teacher if given the right guidance and activities.

3 thoughts on “TEDU 411 – Week 5 Blog Post”

1. Melanie, a personal experience I had had recently supporting what you are saying about creativity and intelligence going hand in hand is when I taught a math lesson in the classroom for a part of my service learning class last semester and they had to come up with creative ways to integrate the material they were learning and be able to comprehend what they were doing at the same time and have that level of intelligence.

2. I think imagination and creativity are prevalent in all SOLs as well. Each topic requires a different type of thinking, which requires a different type of creativity and imagination. But, I like how you said they can be readily cultivated by the teacher if given the right guidance and activities. Teachers must try their best to be as creative as possible when teaching lessons, because that is what really helps students learn and retain material.

3. I think you have a great grasp on creativity throughout the SOLs. You were able to look more closely at math or English than I was, and were able to pinpoint areas of creativity and intelligence. I also see a connection with creativity and intelligence as you do.