TEDU 411 – Week 8 – Blog Post

This week’s chapter talked about art and science and how art can be integrated into teaching scientific topics. And while not something I remember being very prevalent in my own time as a student, I do remember a specific time in science class when art did help me to better understand the topic at hand. I had not really understood the parts and position of parts on a plant until we had the chance to sit down and draw them in my third grade class. I got to pick the plant I wanted to draw, a sunflower, but had to also be sure to label and distinguish between the different parts of the plant. For example, I had to know where the leaves were, what they looked like, and what they helped to do, which was made a lot easier after I had a chance to not only look in depth at a visual, but then turn around and draw it myself. It helped me to engage me and, therefore, helped me to better remember the parts and purpose of plants.

Art of all kinds, particularly pictures and music, have made and do make me stop and think or wonder about the world through a scientific lens. Most pictures, photographs or drawings, that depict nature and environments often leave me wondering how such places functions. I tend to think about what might live there, how it might live there, and what impact it has on the ecosystem itself. Pictures of space have a similar effect, though my thoughts tend to wonder about how we might go about building things to make space travel a feasible thing in the future. Music can also turn my mind to a scientific perspective. A lot of times when  I am listening to music, I wonder what kind of sound waves a reverberating through the room and what they would look like if I could see them. Further than that, I wonder about how they change as the song changes and whether or not there is anything within arms length that I could grasp and use to manipulate the sounds myself. These are only a few things I know I have done and do, fairly consistently, that help to rework my thinking to that of a more scientific nature.

3 thoughts on “TEDU 411 – Week 8 – Blog Post”

1. I totally forgot about seeing pictures of nature and realizing that it is in fact science! I can relate to the plant drawing activity. It’s such a difference in seeing the picture rather than having the teacher just tell it to you. Something about having a photograph to match the description helps it stick for me too.

2. Being able to hold the flower and draw a picture of it is a great way for students to work on their observation skills. By having to draw the flower they are forced to look in detail about every part of the plant which is how observations are made.

3. These ideas are so simple. I wish that my education incorporated such lessons. It inspires me to think of how easy it will be to allow children the creative freedom to choose a plant (tree, shrub, flower) or animal (mammal, fish, reptile, amphibian) and allow them to draw and diagram them. Furthering this concept to allow them to share their pictures/diagrams will give them confidence to speak in front of their peers and teach each other.
    I think that is why I’m enjoying the INSC310 class. It is allowing us to partake in practical applications of the concepts we’ll be teaching and expanding on these ideas. The fact that we photograph what we want while completing these projects and incorporate the photos into the lesson plan we create then post them on our rampage models one pedagogy to infuse art into science.