TEDU 411 – Week 12 – Blog Post

When thinking about different organizations or groups that might want to collaborate with students to help broaden their perspectives with art, the first thing that comes to mind is the different colleges around the area. When I was a student, in high school, we actually helped VCU with a project to promote the importance of understanding how certain diseases affect one’s life. We made brochures for VCU which ended up being used by some of the students in one of the medical programs to promote health. I feel like something similar could be done with elementary school children as well. Students or classes or researches in any department at any school could collaborate with elementary school children and help them learn about a multitude of subjects through art based, project focused activities and learning. There is so much that can be done from working with engineering students to create something that can give back to their school or the community, to helping the theater department promote plays and literature through creating posters or flyers. So much can be done with colleges, in terms of collaboration, for any subject and any grade.

One thought on “TEDU 411 – Week 12 – Blog Post”

1. I volunteered with Carver Promise which pairs an elementary school student with a VCU student. This is really similar to what you wrote about and I believe it is very beneficial for the students. It contents them to a college role model all while giving them one on one tutoring on subjects they are learning in school. All the students I have talked to seem to really enjoy it as well.