TEDU 566 – Potential Instructional Activities for Language Arts

Here is a link to three different instructional activities that I performed with my tutoring student during the course of a semester. Each has the activity we did together, as well as an analysis of each, including; reasons for using such an activity with professional, textual support.

Three Instructional Activities from TEDU 566 Tutoring

Activity I: (Technology Incorporated)

• Activity from Lesson Plan:

Familiar Reading                                                                                                                  SOL 5.6 a & d

• Objective: The student will successfully re-read their Quickreads passage, listen to themselves reading it, and discuss what they notice about their reading with their tutor with 90-97% accuracy reading and given the reading, a recording device, and prompting from their tutor.
  • Activity: The student will re-read a passage while being recorded, listen to the recording, and discuss what they learned about their reading with this tutor.
  • Materials: Recording device (I-Pad), Quickreads passage “Why Ships Float”

Procedure:

• Begin by having the student re-read the previous session’s Quickreads passage. Be sure to record the student’s audio as they are reading.
  • When they are finished, have the student take a moment to listen to their reading from the recording.
  • After, ask them how they feel about their reading, what they notice, and what and how they may want to change it.
  • Have them read the passage again and record them again. Be sure to have them listen to it once more before having them discuss again how they feel about it and compare the two times to one another.

Explanation of Use:

For this first activity, my student and I sat down and he re-read aloud a passage that he had previously read the session before. While he was reading, I used the designated I-pad I was given to record his audio as my student read. Once finished, we took a moment to listen to the reading he had done and then discussed not only how he felt about his reading, but what he could then do to make it even better. He mentioned that he wanted to try and read it with more feeling and like he was really interested in boats. We then took the time to re-read the passage and I recorded my student once more. Together, we listened to the new recording and once again discussed how he felt about it and what he thought about the first recording versus the second one.

• Focus Literacy Component: Fluency
  • Reasoning for Use with Support:

This activity aimed to help build my student’s fluency in terms of prosody, or expression within reading. It not only worked to help my practice with repeated reading of the passage, something that Timothy Rasinski notes is essential to helping build fluency, but it also worked to target voice and feeling with it as well (2012). It did so through having my student listen back and hear how they sound through the recording which then allowed them to focus on how they wanted to change and build upon it from there. They got to consider how important the tone and voice of something is to understanding it, another point in which Rasinski claims is key to mastering fluency with students (2012). With tone and expression, students better understand not only what feeling the author was going for, but the overall message and content of the reading as well. They better intake and process information with the use of feeling and emotional understanding.

Activity II:

• Activity from Lesson Plan:

New Text                                                                                          SOL 5.6 a & d

• Objective: The student will successfully read and answer questions on the passage Why Don’t We See Stars in the Daytime? with 90-97% accuracy and successfully complete a HQQ chart with their tutor without error given the book, the chart, questions, and prompting from their tutor.
  • Activity: The student will perform a read aloud and complete a comprehension HQQ chart with their tutor.
  • Materials: Why Don’t We See Stars in the Daytime? passage, HQQ chart, Writing utensil

Procedure:

– Begin by asking the student what they have heard about stars. Record their answer in the ‘H’ sections of the chart. Then ask what questions they have before reading and record their response under the first ‘Q’ section.

– Allow the student to read the passage, keeping a running record as they do.

– When finished, discuss the reading and ask the student if they have any new questions they would like to ask after reading the passage. Record any response under the second ‘Q’ section of the chart.

Explanation of Use:

The second activity was composed of using a graphic organizer, a HQQ chart, with my student as we read a new text about when one is able to see stars in the sky. The H stands for what have I heard, the first Q stands for what questions I have before reading, and the final Q stands for questions I have after reading. We began the activity by filling out both the H and the first Q sections of the organizer. I had my student tell me what they already knew and what they wanted to know and acted as a scribe and model for how to fill out the chart. We then read the passage and once we were finished, I asked my student if they had anymore questions about the reading before I recorded those down in the last Q section and we had a short discussion about the topic at hand.

• Focus Literacy Component: Comprehension
  • Reasoning for Use with Support:

This particularly activity worked to helped build my student’s comprehension of the passage and their understanding of different techniques that they might use to better comprehend and learn from their readings. With the use of the actual graphic organizer, which Hallie Yopp and Ruth Yopp recommend for helping show students information from text in a structured, easy to follow, organized way, my student was better able to compose their thoughts about the reading and think about it as a whole (2014). My student was better able to think about, and see, what he already knew and what else he wanted to know. Organizers like this help students to better understand information in things that they read because they offer a sense of uniformity (Yopp & Yopp, 2014). Students can see the information more easily, access it more quickly, and in turn use it more effectively than they would with just the book in hand. It works to help supplement reading and build upon comprehension through the use of organizing and putting ideas into student’s own words.

Activity III:

• Activity from Lesson Plan:

Writing                                                                                             SOL 5.7 i

• Objective: The student will successfully complete a Frayer model vocabulary chart on a word from the reading How Big is the Moon? Without error given the chart, the reading, and prompting from their tutor.
  • Activity: The student will complete a Frayer model vocabulary chart with their tutor.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  • Materials: Frayer model chart, Writing utensil, Vocab word, How Big is the Moon? Reading

Procedure:

• After having the student read the passage and discussing it with them, have the student complete a Frayer model vocab chart for the word “nearest” or “near”. Be sure to include the dictionary definition, a picture, and two other student choices to help them remember the word.

Explanation of Use:

The final activity centered around using chart to help my student better understand a somewhat high frequency word within a new reading passage that they were looking at for that specific session. After my student finished their first reading of the passage, I introduced the Frayer Vocabulary Model chart to them and asked them to think about the word nearest, which they had seen in their reading. I wrote down the word in the center of the model and then worked with my student to successfully fill in each of the surrounding boxes in the chart, the definition, a picture to match, an example, and a sentence using the word. My student completed the boxes and afterwards, we discussed the word and how it might be important to remember it for future use.

• Focus Literacy Component: Vocabulary
  • Reasoning for Use with Support:

This activity worked to foster a better understanding of a vocabulary term from a reading and also introduce a new way for my student to analyze and work to understand words that they may not be familiar with. My student gained a better understanding of a word through the use of multiple, different facets that encompassed the word through the use of the Frayer Model chart. With it, my student explored not only what the word meant, but also what it might look like, and what some examples of it might be. It allowed for a more creative, student driven approach to understanding a new word, something that Melissa Gallagher and Blythe Anderson argue is an important piece to teaching vocabulary (2016). Not only was my student able to make learning the word more fun and unique with the different areas that had no set, pre-determined answers, but they were also able to make it their own by using their own words and ideas to help them better remember the term. The student took ownership of the work (Anderson & Gallagher, 2016), and so they were able to gain more from the activity than what might otherwise be possible with more limiting approaches.

References:

Anderson, B., & Gallagher, M. (2016). Get All “Jazzed Up” for Vocabulary Instruction: Strategies That Engage. The Reading Teacher, 70 (3), 273-282. Retrieved from https://blackboard.vcu.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-7628133-dt-content-rid-27839607_2/courses/TEDU-566-002-2018Fall/Vocabulary.Jazzed%20Up.Reading%20Teacher%281%29.pdf

Rasinski, T. (2012). Why Reading Fluency Should Be HOT!. The Reading Teacher, 65 (8), 516-522. Retrieved from https://blackboard.vcu.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-7502685-dt-content-rid-27008185_2/courses/TEDU-566-002-2018Fall/reading%20fluency%20hot.Raskinski.pdf

Yopp, H., & Yopp, R. (2014). Literature-Based Reading Activities: Engaging Students with Literary and Informational Text. 59-91. Retrieved from https://blackboard.vcu.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-7628125-dt-content-rid-27838660_2/courses/TEDU-566-002-2018Fall/Yopp%26Yopp.During%20Reading%20Activities.pdf