Desensitization

social-media-image1

As my inquiry project recites over and over again, social media has desensitized us from the tragedies around the world. I know I keep reiterating this, but I cannot sit back and watch people my age around me scroll past  another picture of a starving child or share another link about race inequality reform. It frustrates me to no end knowing that these miniature computers we carry around are making us numb to chaotic events that have had detrimental impacts on those directly affected.

I stumbled upon an article written Roshni Jain, in the The Chronicle, and it explained a personal experience and the role social media has in desensitizing us. As I read about the personal experience, one that included a tornado destroying their nearby town and its disastrous effect on the town and its surrounding cities. Not only did the disaster hit, but the media coverage of it was short lived as well. This struck me because three years ago, my mother was involved in a severe car accident on a major highway in my hometown. As I had been so distraught, the last thing on my mind was checking my social media accounts. But in the few following days, I was scrolling and saw multiple tweets about the “crazy accident on Route 7”. It does not happen to a lot of people, but seeing such personal and saddening news publicized so casually angered me. It angered me that people will see that tweet and think ‘it’s just another accident’, when in reality, that was somebody’s mother who could have been killed. This put things in perspective for me, because it made me realize these things happen everyday to people around the world, and the others unaffected directly just throw a meaningless “like” or “share”.

social-media-is-here-to-stay

It’s a sad realization to know that my peers are becoming numb to people’s deep and agonizing emotions. They say you never understand until it happens to you, but I can say with personal experience, do not wait until it happens to you. We shouldn’t have to see our own personal information on the Internet to make us realize that the post on the screen involves real people, and real pain. But it is not too late, we can stop this desensitization, and we can become a generation of change.

As Buddha once stated “Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”

drseusssometimesyouwillneverknow

2 thoughts on “Desensitization

1. Do you have any sort of source list I could see?
    Also I would love to see the psychology behind the bystander effect-and maybe how that relates to what your topic is. Could be an interesting direction to go!