Analysis Blog 1 – Internet use!

Analysis Report 1- Blog

My first analysis report is based on the internet use in the United States. Since, Internet is such a crucial thing in today’s world, I wanted to analyze our dependency on internet. During his ConnectHome announcement in Oklahoma, president Obama said that “The Internet is not a luxury, it is a necessity,” which makes me question how dependent are we on the internet? And what is it mostly used for? So, I decided that this is what my research question will be. I thoroughly enjoyed analyzing all the data I came across while finding results for this research question. Being so dependent on internet myself, I could relate to most of that data.

To analyze it from various perspectives I found out two different research reports related to my research question. One of them is ‘American’s Internet Access from 2000 – 2015’ from PEW Research Center (PRC). The main topic of this research report is to demonstrate the patterns of how internet was adopted by Americans during this time period. This report contributes significantly in my choice of research question since I used very same data set which is used in results for both of these research reports. It’s been 25 years since the internet was founded; this report explores how its users have adopted the internet technology and it has become such an integral part of their lives. The report also states that the internet use from year 2000 to year 2015 increased from 52% to 84%. That is 32% increase in 15 years.

The second report I analyzed, Americans Feel Better Informed Thanks to the Internet from PEW Research Center (PRC), includes data and details about how Americans make use of internet and how internet helps them in their lives to be better informed. According to this report, most of the Americans agree that internet has brought benefits in learning and they are better informed than 5 years ago. They find internet helpful in learning and sharing new things and creations. 72% internet users say that digital technologies and internet have given them a platform to share their ideas with the world in much more easier way. This literature analysis helped me to point out that how internet is being used and what’s overall attitude of Americans towards internet use.

To further my analysis, I used data set ‘WEB AT 25’ from course material data sets. The quantitative research method was used to obtain data for this research. This survey is based on telephone interviews with a nationally representative sample of adults living in the continental United States. The survey was conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International (PSRAI). This data set has various variables which represent the overall attitude, habits and opinions of Americans towards the internet use. Majorly, I used statistical methods of Graphical representation and Measures of central tendency to present the results.

In the variable PIAL6 (Which ONE of these statements comes closest to the reason that you would find it hard to give up the internet, even if neither statement is exactly right? 61.7% respondents voted that they use internet and will be hard to give up because It’s for their jobs and 29.9% respondents voted that it will be hard to give up because they just enjoy being online. This clearly shows that high percent of people are dependent on the internet for their jobs. The variable EMINUSE (Do you use internet, email occasionally?) resulted in 84% respondents voting ‘Yes’. The variable INTMOB (Do you access the internet on a cell phone, tablet or other mobile handheld device, at least occasionally?) resulted in 68.53% answering ‘Yes’. The variables PIAL5D, PIAL5E AND PIAL5F represent – How difficult would it be, if at all, to give up the following things in your life? If you do not use or have the item? How hard would it be for you to give up? These three variables represent different categories. PIAL5D– For the internet, 72.2% respondents thought that it will very hard to give up internet. PIAL5E – For the Email, 57% respondents agreed that it will be very hard to give up the E-mail. PIAL5F – For the Social media, 28.3% respondents agreed that it will be very hard to give up Facebook, twitter. However, staggering number of 71.7% respondents agreed that it will be not hard at all to give up the social media. To sum up the analysis, the variable PIAL11 provides more information about overall attitude of Americans towards internet. In the result, huge percentage of 76.78% respondents voted that internet is a good thing for society.

This was a very interesting analysis. It’s always beneficial when analyzing hypotheses or research question which is related to everyday life, which is easier to relate to own experiences. My initial guess was that internet is a necessity and we are dependent on internet for lot of everyday needs. High percentage of the respondents in the data sets and literature I analyzed, stated that they will not be able to give up internet because they are dependent on it for their job. Internet improves our functionality in the society exceptionally. One doesn’t need encyclopedia to know more about the universe, it’s just at the click or touch of the finger. For future analysis, I would like to suggest analyzing benefits of internet use in the rural parts of the world.

References,

American’s Internet Access from 2000 – 2015 (2015) from PEW Research Center.

Americans Feel Better Informed Thanks to the Internet from PEW Research Center (PRC)

3 thoughts on “Analysis Blog 1 – Internet use!

1. Technology and our increasing reliance on it is an excellent topic. As someone old enough to remember a world without the internet and cell phones I see the changes they have wrought are as a treasure trove of sociological change. I agree with your finding regarding , especially regarding the internet being a must for their employment. I wonder if that is a good thing. People are so connected all the time that it makes it nearly impossible to have a real “day off” unless you happen to go to an area with no wi-fi or cell service. That could be my age talking.

2. Heidi,
    I agree with you. Internet era has been most significant time in sociological history. Also, i truly believe that with internet the definition of ‘connected’ has changed. One may feel that they are connected to whole world via social media. However, it may not be the case. I think Pre-internet era was simpler time. With internet came lot of good and bad things. It’s just that one has to decide what they really want to make of it, to use it for their benefit and development or not!

3. There’s been some development work on a graduate “hub” website that would be used to showcase student work, among other things. If that comes into existence this semester, I suggest that you (and everyone else also) combine your first and second analysis papers to create one blog.