One Story

I remember in my fiction class we talked about how many authors subscribed to this belief that we, as writers and as people, only really have one story. That every work we do just contributes to that greater single story that we’re trying to tell.

I feel like Milton’s works support this — we see similar arguments from all his works coalescing and conversing in Paradise Lost. That’s what I was thinking about when Professor Campbell said that we saw the same argument from the divorce tracts arise again in Book 8. I do wonder if Milton thought the same thing and that’s why he spent his whole life trying to write Paradise Lost — because he knew that was his “story.” The one story that all of the other treatises and poems were aspiring toward.

One thought to “One Story”

1. I think this is really interesting. I feel like Milton always knew that he could write a work on the caliber of Paradise Lost, but I wonder if he wasn’t quite wise enough or experienced enough in his younger years to bring it to fruition. It seemed, based on his other works, that as he developed into his fully realized intellectual and religious beliefs, that Paradise Lost came from that. I feel like this is in line with the concept of “one story,” and that it just took Milton kind of a long time to tell his.