Inquiry Project Sketch

Step 2:

1. What is typically understood about your topic, providing necessary background of the issue.

People are well aware of the app, Yelp. It is an online business directory that lets people to search for rates, reviews, and opinions from those who have been to those locations. Yelp is losing its originality and uniqueness because of the endless other businesses that are very similar to Yelp, such as Urbanspoon, AroundME, Foursquare, and many more.

2. What you find problematic about the typical understanding of your topic, and why this problem is significant to understand.

I find it problematic that the Yelp app is losing its uniqueness because of so many other similar apps. There are also many hate because of several reasons: feeling victimized, paid to rate/review, “inaccurate” reviews, threats, and other reasons. I feel like there are many misunderstandings and miscommunications going on on the app.

3. How the research you’ve conducted weighs in on (2) and helps frame how you understand the issue at hand

I have researched on how Yelp can advance more as an app so it can be differentiated from other similar apps. I am focusing on the different directions Yelp can go and what it can bring to its users. I also researched on expanding its business by partnering with other businesses so it can bring more benefits to the users and bring more advancement to the society. I will briefly talk about how people think differently and the different opinions on Yelp.

4. Your thesis; what you think people should embrace instead of (1) given (2) and (3).

I think people should embrace the positive things that Yelp has so far brought: conveniency, quick growth, adjusting to society’s advancement, covers businesses in every category, on mobile, and the positive reviews.

5. The main points of your argument you wish to address demonstrating why (4) and the support you have for these points.

I want to argue that Yelp is/can be a different and unique app, that it brings many benefits to the users, and clear up the misunderstanding many people have on Yelp. I would like to address the direction and expansion Yelp can take to grow more as a business.