Paper 3

Behind the story of decorating homes

I remember since I was a child I loved getting things organized and decorating every room to my liking. I was only a child so I did not know much about the color differences, what texture of furniture would go well with what, or the mood that a certain object would bring to a room. As I grew older, I grew interest in art, the different colors and how I was able to portray my feelings through my artworks really brought me into it. From there, my childhood hobby and my current interest mixed and resulted in an extensive interests in interior design.
When I lived in Texas, I had a friend who lived in a humongous house with a boring and unappealing interior design. It was to the point where I felt like going to her house was like going to mall after Black Friday, it was very unorganized and jumbled up. My mother recommended them an interior designer but only got complaints on how expensive it would be and how it is not necessary to hire someone. After a few months, I went over to their house and found a drastic change. Their furniture were up to date, there were colors that really brought out the architecture of the house, and I could just really see how much an interior designer could change the mood, the set up, and just about everything in house. From this experience, my respect for interior design increased in a great deal.
Interior design is not just decorating homes beautifully to a client’s liking, but using the space effectively that would make all the furniture in the room into a functional design. Some people might think, “I can decorate my home just fine, I don’t need to hire any decorator”, or “Interior decorators are for rich or famous people who doesn’t know what to do with all of their money!” Ironically, hiring someone to decorate you home can help you save some money. They can help you stay on budget and save your time and effort from going to different stores to look for the furniture. Interior designers are trained to notice things that a normal person wouldn’t be able to, so even a small furniture that were placed inaccurately, they can tell and fix it for you. Also, the decorations can be best cooperated with the interior architecture of your home by designers since they can look at things that are overlooked commonly, think differently from the clients, and see the overall picture of the finished product that clients cannot see.
I will share some interior design terms that will be handy to know if you are really into interior designing. Advancing Colors are warm or dark colors that make surfaces appear closer or larger, this will be useful for small rooms that you are trying to make it larger or to add an illusion of more space. Applique are decorations sewn onto or added on furniture you already own, this can be used on to make your own furniture and seem different form any other furniture by adding your own touch onto it. Cabriole leg is a carved wood furniture leg that resembles animal’s body parts like hip, thigh, or ankle. Using these kinds of furniture will help your room look a bit old fashioned and vintage. Knowing just a few interior design terms can benefit you by saving time and embarrassment when describing something to your designer or explaining your furniture to your guests.
After doing some research on how to decorate homes, I found a few tips that can make a drastic change on the interior of a home. From calming combinations of neutral colors to pop up colors, choosing colors wisely can create an eye-catching contrast to your room. For example, black shades bring drama to a dull room; it is a color that can spark your room if used well. Adding a little shade of gold or silver can really bring liveliness to it. For a cozy and intimate mood, trying different types of textures and patters can help you layer to that liking. Also, using monochromatic colors can bring peacefulness and relaxation to your eyes. To add light to your room or to make an illusion of a larger room, you can use glass for some doors or add mirrors to reflect light and make a small room feel more open.
The same way clothing trends changed so did the interior of homes. The 1980s was known as the ugliest decade for interior design trends. Palm plants, ferns, track lighting, blocky furniture, and patio chairs were the main items that represented the 1980s’ interior designs. One of the most used features in the 1980s was the chintz; the colors and patterns were excessive for one room making it hard for people to choose where to set their eyes on. Another trend was dusty pastels, which was usually surrounded by quilted furniture making the room look really dirty and stuffed in. Even though these trends have passed, some designers are trying to bring it back by adding a more modern look added onto it.
Interior designs in 2014 are all about glamour, vintage, and prints. Some of the hot furniture trends for 2014 are bejeweled decorations, honey colored woods, outdoor furniture indoors, metallic leather, technological furniture, and pleats. Dark moody walls would go well with metallic accessories and have glamour like display. Adding a little vintage piece in a room can bring curiosities and attentions from your guests. Vintage furniture is items that are still popular and it is a way to ensure that old furniture does not end up in the trash too early. A new trend that has been going on is using outdoor furniture indoors. Making a living room seem like the outdoors by adding deck chairs, rocks, and some real or fake plants can really add a spark in your home but also adding a glass wicker with some statement pieces here and there can make your room more appealing instead of making your guests think you are using them as a temporary replacement for your furniture. Staying classy with a dash of sophistication can’t go wrong in 2014.
Knowing just a few tricks and tips on decorating homes can make a huge difference. An important factor to interior design is to think outside the box, and try to see the end product of the whole house. Every space in each room should be used effectively with the right furniture, and be able to cooperate with each other. The way your home looks sets the atmosphere for your family and guests, it shows who you are and helps you get good impressions from others. Decorating your homes can be either a chore or a hobby that you can have, but thinking about the results from the time and effort you will be putting it into will make everything worth it.