Analysis Blog #1

For my analysis I chose to examine Factors influencing perception of quality of healthcare received: What factors affect the belief of Americans that they receive quality healthcare? Using data are from the 2012 Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS), this project uses as the dependent variable respondent ratings on the quality of health care received in the past 12 months. Independent variables, considered to be factors in patient perceptions of receiving quality healthcare, were selected based on prior research. The independent variables selected are as follows:

In general, how would you say your health is?

In general, how much do you trust information about health or medical topics from a doctor?

In the past 12 months, how often did you feel that you could rely on your doctors, nurses, or other healthcare professionals to take care of your health care needs?

In the past 12 months, how often did your health professional give you the chance to ask all the health-related questions you had?

In the past 12 months, how often did your health professional give the attention you needed to your feelings and emotions?

In the past 12 months, how often did your health professional involve you in decisions about your health care as much as you wanted?

In the past 12 months, how often did your health professional make sure you understood the things you needed to do to take care of your health?

All variables were measured on a 5-point Likert scale, excellent, very good, good, fair and poor.

As predicted, when patients perceived that interactions with healthcare professionals were positive, patients indicated that they received quality healthcare. Patients that trusted their healthcare provider, felt their needs were being addressed, and were included in their health care planning, reported receiving quality care at higher rates. As indicated in the graphs below, the greatest disparities in perceptions of the quality of healthcare received were seen between gender and race/ethnicity groups.

gender

Untitled

3 thoughts on “Analysis Blog #1

• November 10, 2015 at 2:56 pm

There’s been some development work on a graduate “hub” website that would be used to showcase student work, among other things. If that comes into existence this semester, I suggest that you (and everyone else also) combine your first and second analysis papers to create one blog. Most likely you will indeed find differences between race/ethnicity groups in the perceived quality of health care. However, the second chart that you include here, since it’s a line graph, shows counts of cases on the vertical axis. Since whites are the largest group, it’s not surprising that they show the highest count as “excellent” care. In other words, the graph does not contain information to support your point. You will be able to make a better comparison in your second report, in which you will (I hope) include a crosstabulation table with percentages based on race/ethnicity groups, chi-square, and a measure of association. I look forward to seeing it!

• November 8, 2015 at 12:24 am

Sam,
    This is a good analysis report topic. I like the variable you used for your analysis. It’s evident from the chart you provided that the healthcare quality drastically changes according to one’s race and ethnicity. I agree with Heidi here, it will be interesting to know if there is any information or data available from different generations. Overall, Good read.

• November 2, 2015 at 7:18 pm

I find your area of research incredibly interesting. I fell in love with sociology over the duration of a medical sociology class. I can’t claim to be surprised by your findings sadly. I wonder if there was information available along cross-generational lines as well. I have two grandmothers still alive who are both in their 80’s, and they have very different expectations regarding medical care.