Research Nugget #4

Marshall, Perry, and Thomas Meloche. “Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising: How to Access 600 Million Customers in 10 Minutes.”Google Books. Ryan Shea, n.d. Web. 15 July 2014.

This book is essentially a guideline for businesses who want to advertise themselves on Facebook. Its doesn’t take an side for an argument regarding this topic however its a incredibly helpful source in regards to the fact that it lays out several important and helpful details behind the process of figuring out what to do with the advertisement you purchase to show on Facebook.

“To make it easier for you to understand how well Facebook paid advertising may work for your business, take the www.IsFB4me.com 10-question quiz. It will give you a score from 1 to 10 with the higher score representing a better potential outcome for Facebook advertising.”

• I chose this nugget because I thought that the idea that there is a quiz that businesses can take to see how well their company will do with Facebook advertisements is very interesting. The book continues with a scale that explains what each number means.

The image should interrupt your target customer and make him want to look further at the ad. It has to catch the eye of the Facebook user and make her want to read your headline and your ad text.

• This nugget starts off the section that begins to discuss the importance of the visuals of an advertisement. I picked this nugget because this is a topic I am most interested in. The book continues to talk about how sexual images tend to get the best reaction from people and how companies need to figure out how to capture a users interest from a single thumbnail sized picture.

Kim, Larry. “Google Display Network vs. Facebook Advertising.” Web log post. WordStream. The WordStream Blog, 15 May 2012. Web. 15 July 2014.

This is a full length article that compares and contrasts Facebook advertising and Google advertising. It seems to be more biased towards to the fact that Google advertisements are a much better investment however it still supplies substantial and useful information.

I think Mr. Zuckerberg is in denial here – he wants to be this cool company that’s all about “connecting people,” but 85% of his revenue is driven from internet advertising. Advertising is his business model. The sooner he figures this out, the higher the chances that Facebook is actually worth +$100 billion.

• This part of the article was discussing a quote from Mark Zuckerberg who talks about how his main purpose for Facebook is to connect individuals throughout a network and disregards the amount of advertising Facebook incorporates as well as the revenue they get from it. After finding out that Facebook gets 85% of its revenue from advertising, its interesting to see how Mr. Zuckerberg wouldn’t comment on it. 

Given its impressive global reach, Facebook has the potential to be as much of an advertising behemoth as Google. But the question remains – does Mr. Zuckerberg even want Facebook to be an advertising-based company?

• Based off Zuckerberg’s quote, we can assume that he’s not to thrilled about the fact that Facebook is turning into a advertisement outlet for major companies. However Im sure he doesn’t mind the mounds of money pilling up.

Serfaty, David. “Facebook to Marketers: Get Smarter With Your Creative | DigitalNext – Advertising Age.” Advertising Age DigitalNext RSS. AdAge, 19 Feb. 2014. Web. 15 July 2014.

This article talks about the logistics behind the process of advertising on Facebook. It includes several sections that discuss the process of Facebook’s advertisement  and even though Ive found several sources that talk about the same topic, this source discusses the people involved and what their jobs are like.

With Lookalike Audiences, marketers can get very close to ensuring that every piece of ad creative they produce with Facebook is targeted at a specific user group based on those users’ similarities to the advertisers’ existing customers.

• I chose this nugget because I thought that the Lookalike feature that Facebook is using is very interesting the way that it will give advertisements to people who’s profiles look similar.

This means that marketers need to jettison generic ad creative and text-heavy wall posts in favor of high-quality, engaging ad creative with smart imagery and limited text. Facebook will reward them for doing so with greater exposure in users’ News Feeds.

• This talks about how Facebook is turning to overloading users news feeds with ads to make their advertisement process more efficient.

SYNTHESIS!

Overall the sources I found each carry their own unique weight about Facebook advertising. The book I found was very interesting since it was an source that was written for business men to understand what they would be getting into if they were to go ahead and use Facebook advertising for their products. The other two sources stated information very similar to previous sources I have found. The second article stated information I was already aware of from other sources including the third source I found however it was incredibly helpful since it would compare the advertising information fro Facebook to that of Googles. The final source was very similar to sources I found in previous research nuggets though it still provided much needed information.