Rubric

Honestly, I believe the type of rubric selected would depend on the content and the students. There are some that were presented such as Rubric Two which I feel would be great for a class that perhaps was literary or language focused. It strongly emphasis the presence of personality, voice, and character in posts. I can see where that would be extremely important in certain environments. I did not feel this environment was the best match for that rubric.

Rubric One and Three I felt were somewhat similar. I felt they were much more “simplified” in their approach. Which to me was much less intimidating. I felt very overwhelmed when I saw Rubric Two. I almost feel that type of rubric may discourage participation as it brought about a sense of anxiety in me and made the idea of posting a comment into an assignment equivalent to that of a final paper. That is not encouraging community engagement.

The other two, as Rubric One mentioned, go more into transparency. There is less guesswork going into it. You create your post, you put thought into it, you have to make it so that others understand where you are coming from, and if needed present evidence. Rubric Three was different because it had a category for personalizing your blog and adding your own elements.

I was a little unsure of Rubric One. I like that it is relatively simple. However, I found that to be vague. I would think as a professor it would be very subjective and as a student the expectations would not be very clear.

I like Rubric Three because it is simple and clear. The expectations are broken down in a structure that is understandable and simple. I know the expectations and they are not overwhelming.  We were talking about that when we were discussing Transactional Distance Theory. About the importance of structure, communication, and autonomy.  So, this rubric provides structure, it provides expectations for the initiation of communication, and it encourages autonomy. It encourages it by eliminating or minimizing some of the anxiety of a task that may be too much or unclear.

I would say I would change one part of Rubric Three. I would not make “Use of Enhancements” part of every blog post. I feel for certain posts it would be a great idea. However, for some posts that may be extra and distracting. As far as personalizing the blog itself I can see where that is helpful because it reflects personality. However, I feel like this should not be part of the scoring for each post.

That’s all folks!  Thanks for reading!

10 Replies to “Rubric”

1. Hello,
    Just out of curiosity, do you have experience in being given a rubric for your classwork or in creating them for students? The reason that I ask is that creating and applying can be two very different experiences.
    I have professors from previous learning environments who have “provided”‘a rubric but never used it when assessing work. For me as the learner, this was rather disheartening. Granted, if using the second rubric, it would certainly be overwhelming for both the writer and the individual who is assessing the written work.
    I, too, found the third rubric to be more user-friendly. I didn’t create a rubric as was a possibility. I am wondering if that will become the next task for us to consider?
    The ability to offer ideas as to how one’s work should be assessed is a huge difference between graduate (adult) students and undergraduate students.

I look forward to learning more from you as the semester progresses.

2. Hi Mary,
    I totally agree with all you’ve written. I felt the same way about rubric 2. I concur about rubric 1 being subjective but I feel it provides an environment of freelance writing with the pointers guiding the writer. I guess a student would soon find out if their writing met the instructors’ views via their grade.

I agree with your thoughts for rubric 3, especially about the enhancements. This rubric focuses on the writing. I would add that rubric 3 has the community section and I really like this.
    Thanks for your post!
    Beth

3. Hello Mary,

My thoughts exactly in regards to Rubric 2. I felt as though the intensity of the break down of the Criteria as well as assigning percentages was a bit overwhelming. I always thought that a blog should capture an individuals individuality. With this rubric being so heavily structured, it would be much more harder to capture that.

Like you I really liked the simplicity of Rubric 3. I really don’t mind the “Use of Enhancements” as long as it supports what the blog is about and not mindlessly added to fill space.

I enjoyed reading your post, Anna

4. I completely agree with your thoughts on greater transparency in the first rubric. I was also overwhelmed by the complexities of the second rubric, while also seeing possible applications for it.

I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on the possible language and literary applications for the second rubric, as I had not even thought of that use for that rubric. I think the emphasis on voice is key to its future applications.

I agree that simplicity is the most valuable attribute in considering the three rubrics. I completely understand the draw the the throes one. I myself saw a lot more fluidity in the first rubric, but mostly because of my ideas for diversity and inclusion. Actually, upon more thought, I could see myself using Rubric 3 because it is still fairly simple. If I were to combine 1 and 3, I would use Rubric as a base and eliminate one or two categories. Most likely the post frequency.

Austin

5. I personally liked Rubric 1 for the simplicity. In response to Laurie regarding the use of Rubrics…I have created rubrics and used them for the assessment as an instructor and I have been given rubrics for assignments as a learner. When given rubrics as a student, my instructors use the rubric for assessing my work and then provide the completed rubric with the grade for the assignment. I like having a rubric but I like for it to give me the ability to go my own route while covering the topic.

Kim

1. How fortunate for you. Your instructors must have been taught well and understood how to use them. In my opinion, a rubric helps the evaluator to be transparent. It’s not possible for every student to get “into” an instructor’s head. Afterall, the goal of learning is to develop the student’s capacity, yes?

Laurie

1. Hey everyone,

I see we have some discussion around rubrics. Honestly, I think it depends on the professor honestly. I have had professors that tend to provide a rubric but perhaps it is still difficult to determine where the grade comes from. I like what Kim said where the professor provides a copy of the rubric. That would be helpful in formal assignments. I have had that just a few times but it was helpful for self-assessment to figure out what to improve. It is nice to have the transparency and structure of a rubric. I prefer three because it provides clearer expectations for me as a student. One is a little vague for me. However, perhaps that is something that could be improved upon for sure with a combination of the two, I am unsure.

1. So, i agree, the context (professor, demographics of students, content) can all play a roll. But if I asked you to grade all the blog posts for this class for one of the weeks, and you could do so in any way you saw fit, what would you do?

2. Allowing students to “go their own route while covering the topic” – is a great thought. I’m with you, i want to allow some flexibility on these but also task students with fulling responding to the prompt.

6. Mary, I agree with you and the other commenters about these specific rubrics. For me, the purpose of the rubric is not only about clarifying expectations between the facilitator/instructor and the learner, it also provides a way for the instructor to tie the activities to the learning goals and/or objectives. In creating a rubric, it’s important to reflect on how does this assignment get at that learning goal and/or objective? What are the expectations for the assignment and how is the best way to measure that? What are the expectations for all assignments? Where are the expectations for all assignments the same and where do they differ? Before finally selecting one of these, I’d like to have some disscussion on these questions.