Final Draft!

To Ban or Not to Ban: Insight on the issue of pro-ana sites and why banning them is not the solution

Read more

Persuasion Map 2

Second Persuasion Map   So I did end up changing my persuasion map quite a bit. I attempted to refine it by adding the source numbers from my annotated bibliography to the different supporting ideas to show from where I will pull up quotes or information. I also fixed up the main ideas by changing “invalid” […]

Read more

More Annotations

7. Borzekowski, Dina L G et al. “E-Ana and e-Mia: A content analysis of pro-eating disorder web sites.” American Journal of Public Health 100.8 (2010) : 1526-1534. Print.   This journal article is a more current and less dated piece than the other articles that talk about the content of pro-ana sites. The goal of this […]

Read more

Project Platform

I decided that the best place to hold my project on the topic of pro-ana sites and whether they should be banned or not is going to be on a platform where many of the pages reside. So, I went with the (in)famous site (to pro-ana users), livejournal, that hosts many pro-ana pages without deletion due to the terms and conditions not having […]

Read more

Persuasion Map

Persuasion there

Read more

Annotated Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography 1. Shade, Leslie. “Weborexics: The Ethical Issues Surrounding Pro-Ana Websites.” ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society 32.7 (2003): n. pag. Web. Shade discusses the basic definitions of the disorders that manifest those who go on, actively participate with, and even create pro-anorexic (pro-ana) and pro-bulimic (pro-mia) websites (referred to as pro-ana websites hereon). Historical […]

Read more

Connecting Our Nuggets

My research inquiry project is morphing into an informative piece, I think. I’m not sure if that was my intention, but I have been pushing away from going with a definite opinion on how these sites should be handled (ethical banning vs freedom of speech allowing), and instead I am giving both sides of the arguments equally. […]

Read more

Nugget on Source (2)

Source 2 “[A] Pro-Ana argued that the Yahoo sites ‘are not promoting for people to be anorexic! They aren’t sending out fliers or adds (sic) to join these groups, which is what promoting is. These clubs are not making or forcing people join them in being anorexic. The clubs are simply a place for people […]

Read more

Nugget on Source (1)

Source:   http://www.emeraldinsight.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/doi/pdfplus/10.1108/17465721111134538   “Why do people visit pro-eating disorder websites? It is often stated that users visit pro-eating disorder websites to ‘‘learn’’ how to become anorexic/bulimic or maintain an eating disorder (Rawi, 2010). Although little research has considered why people without eating disorders would choose to visit these sites, a growing body of studies […]

Read more

New project post…

I’m not gonna stick with anonymity anymore because I’m indecisive as hell.   I am now going to focus on pro-ana websites and the controversies behind that.   Heuristic:   I am studying pro-ana websites and blogs on the internet because I want to find out why they should or shouldn’t be banned/disallowed in order to help my […]

Read more