Nugget from Man-Computer Symbiosis

“Computing machines will do the routinizable work that must be done to prepare the way for insights and decisions in technical and scientific thinking. Preliminary analyses indicate that the symbiotic partnership will perform intellectual operations much more effectively than man alone can perform them.”- third to last sentence in first paragraph.

It’s striking to me because this was written in 1960 and yet much of what it predicted has become reality now.  Is it all entirely accurate though?  Looking at “symbiotic partnership will perform intellectual operations much more effectively than man alone can perform them” really makes me question this. Even just take for instance a calculator and GPS built in on our phone. Sure, we can do these accomplish tasks faster and more efficiently using them, but does that necessarily mean we are more effective with techonolgy’s assistance than alone? Technology glitches, and being able to confirm directions mentally would be a surefire check for this. It seems as if it is a cycle to me though, because now we have lost the ability to be effective alone.

Edit: I’ve linked to this two classmates’ posts which I found very interesting and led me to new thought processes.

Blog1 -which allowed me to see that perhaps by allowing man and computers to work together, this becomes a learning process of it’s own. Personally though, I am not sure how much I feel of our relationship with computers is in cooperation rather than reliance.

blog2– References a similar concept, article predicting technology’s growth written 70 years ago. A statement this author made really resonated with me: “However, the question of whether these functions have genuinely improved our everyday lives or just simply altered them.”

jacobsma

你好! 我叫Morgan。我是大雪学生。我少英文。我少一点中文。

One thought on “Nugget from Man-Computer Symbiosis