You Make The Call

Part 1:

-Source 1: This has been all over the news online recently-a 19 year old instagram model Essena O’Neill announced that her life via social media was a “lie” and went back and edited all captions accordingly stating how many shots were taken in order to get that “right picture” and how fake she felt this all was. One particular article addressing this is the one HERE.
-Source 2: An article written by social media CEO Zach James:
calls out this Instagram model and redirects her as the lie, “You were the lie, not social media” Zach James choose Facebook as the way he chose to speak out about his thoughts on Essena O’Neill .

Both of these articles have resulted in a debate all around online (I just saw something in VCU’s own commonwealth times about this the other day) addressing whether social media is entirely detrimental or if it is all dependent on how it is used. Personally, I don’t have accounts for twitter, instagram or snapchat. But I do have these accounts under my nonprofit’s name and it is used as a mean to reach a large audience at once. Nothing about the posts made with these Camp Kesem accounts is even remotely close to a lie. I post updates about fundraisers, events, activities, etc. I do keep track of likes and how many shares and followers we get but the reasoning behind this is entirely different than that of those possessing personal accounts.

We use these statistics to allow us to know what are better times to reach our audience, if our posts were effective etc. (Facebook will actually tell you when you have a page how many people viewed your post, and what percentage more it is effective versus other posts) rather than as a means of self-validation.

Part2:

This other source differers in not even considering any negative aspects of technology. I suppose this is because it is looking at non profits exclusively rather than anyone’s use of social media. It speaks of how posting daily is a constant reminder of the mission, and reinforcing that to the public. It also allows organizations to engage and connect at a personal level while simultaneously reaching a larger audience. Ex. Being able to respond to posts or comments or tweet back answers to questions.

Source #2 differs in identifying the exact specifics a nonprofit should consider while using technology in order to utilize it effectively
This article also argues choosing the right network, content, how often you post etc. It is not enough to just use social media and expect it to reach it’s full potential in benefitting a nonprofit . It is only beneficial if it is used properly. Facebook takes number one for best network, twitter is second and Youtube is surprisingly third over instagram. (according to 2015 Nonprofit Communications Trends Report)I had not yet considered this as a form of technology that nonprofits utilize (even though I am currently in the midst of creating a PR video for Camp Kesem to post on youtube for #givingtuesday)

Part 3 (Making the call!!)

-My personal stance on this is that social media is all how use it. In nonprofits, businesses, and other like organizations it can be very beneficial. And I also don’t think that these organizations should be the only ones to have access to use of social media or are that this is the only “right” way to utilize this form of technology. In fact, these organizations would have no audience to reach toward if the general public did not use social media. However, I do agree that it should be used for conveying ideas, messages, and news — and accurate information at that. By no means should it be used as a determination of self worth.

An image found on the second source from Part 2 on recommendations to effectively use social media:

jacobsma

你好! 我叫Morgan。我是大雪学生。我少英文。我少一点中文。

2 thoughts on “You Make The Call