Marx

Karl Marx: Alienation

Capitalism was and is mankind’s downfall. In today’s community alienation is everywhere. Karl Marx defined “ alienation by the process where the worker is made to feel foreign to the products his/her own labor” (Felluga, Marxism) which means, the worker will not reap or get satisfaction from making a certain product but will just go about their day, as soon as they relinquish the product they made it now belongs to the person who has the power (capitalist). My Urban Sociology teacher made a great point on Tuesday, she said people who live in Europe live to work but Americans on the other hand work to live, which is oh so true. Americans have to live paycheck to paycheck while other working class citizens get vacation and “ work” is not necessarily as necessity. I think this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7flyL3S0bQ “Alienation in the work place, McDonald’s” brings attention to why teenagers are hired because of them being less expensive and having little to no experience so they are easy to control. I’ve never really thought about people I see working in the fast food business but these statistics in the video are shocking but not so shocking only because I feel like the government keeps certain information from the public.

Work Cited:

http://www.cla.purdue.edu/english/theory/marxism/terms/

2 thoughts on “Marx

• August 30, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I completely agree that alienation is everywhere. It is very discretely communicated.

• September 1, 2014 at 9:01 pm

It is true that alienation is still present, even though our economy has moved from production to service. I would love to hear what Marx would say about the fast food industry today. I was just listening to WRIR, where I heard a segment on how fast food workers are undervalued and underpaid. Some fast food workers in Richmond are organizing to demand a living wage. Perhaps they’re taking steps towards class consciousness? (I do think some of the stats in your video may be wrong though.)