Keeping Up with the Forum

In both VCU OLE and the Preparing Future Faculty course I co-teach, the question of managing online, asynchronous participation has come up. It has been pointed out– rightly– that online participation can be overwhelming to moderate, with posts coming in at different times, or just the sheer volume given the size of the course. How does one balance […]

Continue Reading 0

Asynchronous Engagement: Lessons from Flipgrid

Facilitating a rich discussion is a challenge, whether it’s online, face-to-face, synchronous or asynchronous. Face-to-face, there’s a certain type of energy or enthusiasm as the group works through a concept in the moment, making rapid connections, following interesting tangents, pushing perspectives. That’s the goal, the ideal, what it’s like when things go well. They often don’t. Some participants […]

Continue Reading 1

Data-fueled Reflections

I’ve been frustrated this week with the limitations for analytics within the LMS I am currently using, Blackboard. I’ve previously used Moodle in teaching and was always pleased with its robust reporting on user activity, even if the level of granularity felt could be read as slightly Orwellian. I don’t believe in using metrics like […]

Continue Reading 0

Rote Grading

This semester, I asked a group of graduate students in a course preparing future faculty to reflect on what they would and wouldn’t automate in their teaching as they reflected on Jonathan Rees’ Automate This, Not That. The answers were brief– we used Flipgrid as the medium so they were working with a 90 second […]

Continue Reading 1

I tried: Kaizena

What is it: Kaizena is a feedback tool. You create a group within Kaizena (typically for your class, but could also be collaborative group for other work) and users can share documents with each other from Google Drive. Using tools within Kaizena, you can leave feedback on the document as either a specific text/voice comment […]

Continue Reading 0

Super Mario and Connecting Across Time

This morning, I’ve occasionally heard a cell phone alert that uses the sound from the NES Super Mario games, the sound made when a coin is released from hitting on of the question mark boxes. That’s the impetus of this blog, but it’s not because it’s annoying me– quite the contrary. The sound is making […]

Continue Reading 0

Introduction

I joined VCU’s Alt Lab this past August as one of three Online Learning Liaisons, working primarily with the Schools of Education, Engineering, and Business. I was delighted to join ALT Lab because its orientation towards active, connected learning resonated with me (and it helps that both my partner and I thought Richmond was lovely). […]

Continue Reading 0

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes