Malcolm Solomon- Trust…Hmmm?

The articles, “Research in the Real World” and Trust Online” discussed information about online learning. One article discussed its purpose of examining the improvement in nontraditional students’ information
literacy abilities using library instruction that employs Keller’s ARCS Model
of Motivational Design. And the other discussed how users assess the credibility of online information.

I think the term trustworthy is to be synonymous with creditable. When discussing the two articles a user would want to the peace of mind or reassurance the information presented is honest. As seekers of information we can search author’s credentials, institution publications, and dates in order to give us assures that information we’ve located is trustworthy. We search information about a person or institution all to persuade ourselves that we can believe what they say. After doing their due diligence I think what a user would ultimately decided as truth is what they want to believe. These two articles may seem trustworthy to some and not to others.

In order for me to deem a something authentic I would have to validate its information by accessing other sources of information. For instance, if I’m researching events that happened during the Cold War and came across information in an online article. I would then utilize books, documentaries, ect to compare with the information that has been stated in the article. Who is presenting the information is less important than what is being said.

5 Replies to “Malcolm Solomon- Trust…Hmmm?”

1. Hey Malcolm! I usually don’t research the credentials of an author but you make a good point; if you want to make sure the article or research is accurate it would be a good start to learn more about the person who wrote it. Similar to you, I utilize multiple sources when confirming information. I check articles, documents, online resources to see if the information I found on one site matches the information I found on another. In your opinion, what article did you believe to be more accurate?

2. Hey Malcolm,

I totally agree about using a number of sources, both online and in traditional print. I think that’s part of the issue with how people search these days. Everything has to be fast, fast, fast, and people rarely take the time to validate information they read. I feel like we all need to slow down before we share, repost, etc. . .

Matt

3. Hi Malcom,

I agree, I think that trustworthy is aligned with the idea of credible. I also agree that what is said is one of the most important things though I also want to know about the “who” as well because there can be a lot of bias depending on the agenda of the person that is producing the work in question. What are your thoughts on this? I honestly put near-equal value on The Who, and the what/why of the work.

4. Hello Malcolm,

I like what you said about “Who is presenting the information is less important than what is being said.” That’s true on so many levels. Fact checking is as important as examining the credible source(s), the Who(s). The last thing that one would want happen is to report on hearsay from a credible source. The credible source can have a hidden agenda (something to gain) by reporting false information.

Thank you for your post. I look forward to working and learning with you this semester, Anna

5. I agree with you (and the others) that trustworthy and credible are synonymous with one another. I like that you utilize the sources to help deem something as credible or not. To be honest, I can’t say that when I’m researching something that I use the sources for that reason. I like that idea and will try doing that next time!