MAKE #1: Food Art

Last Thursday our class participated in food art, which was the first of many Makes that we are doing for the rest of the semester.  My overall expectation going in was that we were going to have fun but that it was going to be difficult. That was pretty much how it actually went.

We luckily had a whole bag of fresh produce that the Professor brought in which contained everything from squash and cucumber to a rose and pistachios. It was lucky that the professor brought in all those items because many students didn’t bring in food items. The professor left the room so she wouldn’t disturb our creative thinking and we were left with the rest of the class period to pretty much do whatever we wanted with the various food items.

I started off with the produce and tried to be as creative as possible but food art isn’t something you just pick up and do, it was much harder than it looked.

Below are some pictures I took that I thought were ok, but nothing great.

IMG_1599IMG_1600IMG_1602IMG_1604I

Here are some of the photos that I thought were a little better than those.

IMG_1601IMG_1606\

And finally my favorite photo is one that I can’t really explain. I don’t know why it is my favorite, maybe because of how simple it is but i’m not really sure. I just like it

Overall, I thought that this make was interesting and also very difficult. I noticed that many other students found it just as hard but it was fun. I believe we could tie this into our clients by advertising a contest of making food art out of an item of food that they get and posting all the entries onto our social media outlets. The winner could win a gift card or something along those lines.