Volunteering at the Pantry: Chicken Chili Day

A couple weeks ago I volunteered at the Ram Pantry from around     3-5 PM. Going in I didn’t know what we were making but I knew that we were making food samples. When I got there our group wanted to make sweet potato fries but there weren’t anymore sweet potatoes. So we had to think on our feet and create something with what we had. We had canned chicken (which is much more unappealing when seen/smelt up close), some fresh bell peppers, corn, and some spices. None of us really knew how it was going to turn out but we had to give it a shot.

I was in charge of cutting up the peppers and also dealing with the canned chicken. We then put it all in a pot and let it cook for a little while. When it was done we were all pretty nervous to try it but we all did and it actually tasted good! It really goes to show that you can make some pretty decent food with the foods they provide there. After we put the chili into dixie cups we also added some crackers to it to give it that real chili look. It turned out to be a perfect day for chili because it was rainy and cold outside. We walked around near the pantry and gave people the sample and people seemed to enjoy it. I didn’t hear one bad review on it. All in all it was a good day and it was fun to put something new together. Even the people that were working at the pantry were surprised that we made it taste that good! Hopefully some of the people who ate it tried to make it themselves.

IMG_1693 (1)