Nugget from source

The new source I have found talks about technology and how it affects the environment. My topic for the inquiry project is how technology has affected the environment and what todays’ technological advancements are doing to preserve the world around us. For a long time technology and the resources necessary for their functions have been taking a toll of the Earth. In a study titled “Water Quality Dynamic Monitoring Technology and Application Based on Ion Selective Electrodes,” water shortage and water pollution are discussed, and new technology that could help purify larger masses of water, and help with distribution of clean water as well.  I have not seen a topic like mine yet, I hope someone takes an interest in my topic, because this affects everyone today.

I have seen some interesting topics from my classmates. I would like to find out more about how the credit card is advancing and the technology behind it. Technology is fascinating and there a lot of interesting topics being explored. Best wishes to everyone with their research!

My personal ultra-rich environment

My personal page is set up of many different things that when combined together, it reveals a little bit about myself. To start off the header of my blog is the view underneath the water in an Olympic swimming pool. I would say about 60 % of my childhood was spent under the water in a pool. At the age of 6 I first began my swimming career, and ever since then my passion has been swimming. The quote I tried to display on my blog was “I am just a simple man swimming in a sea of sharks.” – Don Johnson. This quote describes me well because I feel most comfortable when I am swimming for hours at a time. And currently I am trying to “swim” my way through this journey called college. The name of the blog lets readers know that this blog is controlled by a confused and maturing VCU student that is trying to connect to the surroundings brought to you by technology and the world wide web.

Progress report

When first entering the class I figured out right off the bat that, it was no ordinary class. Although I have not had enough time to form an opinion on whether I prefer this hybrid class or a traditional class, I still believe this course is an experience. The work load can be heavy at times, just because the articles we are assigned can be dull and repetitive at times and then we are instructed to craft a meaningful blog. It has yet to be a month of school yet, so I hope this course will start coming together soon and our class gets the hang of how this UNIV class operates.

“Man vs. Computer”

Technology is everywhere, it’s in everything, and the world would not function the way it does without it. Computers are a different story, in the article “Man-Computer Symbiosis” author J.C.R. Licklider speaks about a time when humans and computer will work together to analyze, test and discover new technological advancement. “Man-Computer Symbiosis is probably not the ultimate paradigm for complex technological systems. It seems entirely possible that, in due course, electronic or chemical “machines” will outdo the human brain in most of the functions we now consider exclusively within its province.”

When most people see computers and humans trying to work together, this is the greatest fear they have. If the world ever reaches a time of technological singularity, the chaos that follows will be the worst of it’s time. Although I am a huge fan of technology, I wish to keep our systems humane as possible and have restrictions on “computer” programs and how they function. Human_vs_Computer-e1364619445645

“Free-range blog”

Due to the many articles discussing the internet and how information is dealt with and the many problems that follow I do believe it is appropriate to discuss one of my favorite internet hacktivist Aaron Swartz. As many of you probably already know, Aaron Swartz was a computer programmer, writer, and among other things a genius. He had a passion for the world wide web and all the things he could do with it. Although he was recognized for his programming achievements as a pre-teen, I am here to discuss how Mr. Swartz changed the world in his later years.

When finally deciding on attending Stanford University, Aaron was not the happiest person. He believed that he did not require education and that he could be spending his time more constructively programming in is apartment. Not going into extreme detail, one day Aaron found out about a database named JSTOR. JSTOR is a database for academic journals that were private viewing for paying members only, Aaron hacked into the JSTOR database and downloaded all the articles on to his laptop in order to “set them free” to the public. In doing so he caught the attention of the FBI and other law enforcement agencies and was arrested and charged with many different internet crimes. He realized that the payment required to view academic journals was ludicrous and it was his duty to try and fix it. After Aaron’s’ tragic death at the age of 26, Mr and Mrs. Swartz created a website in his honor and stated “He used his prodigious skills as a programmer and technologist not to enrich himself but to make the Internet and the world a fairer, better place.” 

internetsownboy

R.I.P. Aaron Swartz you will always live in the internet hall of fame as one of the greatest.

(P.S. Great documentary on Netflix)

“As We May Think”

Throughout this piece of writing many different topics are addressed and discussed. The topic that captured my attention was the lack of access of scholarly documents and research from the web. Imagine the advancements we would currently have  if everyone had the same access to the web throughout the world.      “When data of any sort are placed in storage, they are filed alphabetically or numerically, and information is found (when it is) by tracing it down from subclass to subclass. It can be in only one place, unless duplicates are used; one has to have rules as to which path will locate it, and the rules are cumbersome. Having found one item, moreover, one has to emerge from the system and re-enter on a new path.” It is time for a change in the field of research, and it is time for a new studies and new discoveries to be found. The world is filled with intelligent, dedicated workers. Why hide the tools for success?

“How Does It Feel To Think?”

Thinking has been a very changeling and confusing concept to grasp and understand due to the various factors that go in to thinking. People follow certain rules and procedures when making a thought, and others not so much. Experiences must differ in an extreme way when reviewing what people “think” they feel. I am not one to think and ponder, but the feeling of thinking is glorious. Your thoughts are personal, free, and unfiltered, thoughts are pure and unlimited. Zero boudries exist in your thoughts. The one way to describe what one feels during a time of thinking is freedom. No guidelines, no rubrics just one’s mind and imagination.

Hello world!

Welcome to Rampages.us.

This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.