Nugget about “Man-Computer Symbiosis” (Monday, 06/16/2014)

“It may be appropriate to acknowledge, at this point, that we are using the term “computer” to cover  a wide class of calculating, data-processing, and information-storage-and-retrieval machines. The capabilities of machines in this class are increasing almost daily. It is therefore hazardous to make general statements about capabilities of the class. Perhaps it is equally hazardous to make general statements about the capabilities of men. Nevertheless, certain genotypic differences in capability between men and computers do stand out, and they have a bearing on the nature of possible man-computer symbiosis and the potential value of achieving it.” (Man-Computer Symbiosis)

My nugget is about possible man-computer symbiosis. No matter how I think about this “possible project” it is very impossible and unbearable. It is not only inhumanity but also contributed in contaminating the order of the world whereas humans are reined over other species including “computer”- a never-extinct-artifact species. Through the passage, the author are putting human and the “class” in the same level in which I considered an extreme disrespectful act to human race. It is not only because the “class” is a handmade thing with no life, emotion and sympathy, it is also because “I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor a messenger greater than the one who sent him” (John 13:16, NIV.) Since the computer is invented to serve people for a better life, it can never be compared with the human, regardless our disability. Computer is made to serve, not to be served. It is ok to use computer to support human’s needs in some special cases, but I can’t tolerate the idea of putting human race in the same level with computer. The question of “Who serves who?” should never ever be discussed in our society.

VGo_AP323706115470

download

In this picture, Devon Carrow attends the school via robot because of his health condition. I have no objection with this at all, since when it comes to the end, the robot is used to serve this kid’s sincere want of going to school. Although the kids and teachers are acknowledged Devon via the robot, they deeply want and pray to the Lord that Devon will be there with them soon. This case is not a possible man-computer symbiosis; however the “Transcendence” case is it. The idea of letting Will live a human life through technology is inhumanity. There is no good to let one live half of his life. Although he is always with Everlyn, he cannot be next to her. It is painful. Plus, being aware that computer can calculate and predict thing much faster than the normal human, there is always the fear of dominance among human and man-computer symbiosis. Thus, it disturbs the world peace system and gives the “class” a chance to overpower his master, which is unnatural and unacceptable.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ny-student-attends-class-remotely-via-robot/

EDIT VERSION

This nugget connects with my first nuggets about “As We May Think” because it is all about “logic.” Is it logic when we wonder “Who serves who?” in this problem? It is illogical to think that way since the “class” is supposed to serve the people from the beginning. There should be not reverse in this case. However, as I considered last time, there is not absolutely right or wrong about logic because of different perception. However, is it odd when someone admits that the “class” was invented to be served by people? Thus, this is when the problem of relativism and ethics come up. Logic must be ethical relativism in which things are different in interpretation but still have to follow the basic ethics standards that apply to people for the goods of the society. Since it is unethical to reverse the order of the world and go against the principles of which the objects were made, we are saying that the “logic” idea of man serves “class” is wrong under any consideration.

akxn4e7p6bjzw2gy2yoch3urruadw6rhlm5vs2oll757hbaoaxlq_0_0

2 thoughts on “Nugget about “Man-Computer Symbiosis” (Monday, 06/16/2014)”