Nugget about Personal Dynamic Media (Monday, 07/14/2014)

“For most of recorded history, the interactions of humans with their media have been primarily nonconversational and passive in the sense that marks on paper, paint on walls, even “motion” pictures and television, do not change in response to the viewer’s wishes. A mathematical formulation—which may symbolize the essence of an entire universe—once put down on paper, remains static and requires the reader to expand its possibilities” (Personal Dynamic Media)

This nugget connects with my primary text as it talks about the human’s interactions with media. Again, my primary text is about getting closer interaction between professors and students through some sort like video email or online office hours. Those methods are very convenient and efficient. However, in this nugget, the author informs us the passive way to communicate with others that lasts for years while I am more about being active in interaction in the shorter term. For me, I prefer being active to talk to people instead of passing over the written document or books of years ago.

My interpretation is important because it shows us that all types of media are grouped into two types of passive and active. Since I am making suggestion about video email because I see that is most fit to new student generation. However, I think that I have to consider about the tiny effect. As the author implies, if we have a written instruction in email, we can go back and take a look at them in case we forget. However, for the active type, after we communicate with our professors. We are done. We have to remember our whole conversation about, unless we decide to call them again to ask about the specific detail. Thus, I am not sure whether this is a good idea to both professor and students. I guess more researches are needed to ensure that this tiny effect will not affect to my suggestions in all ways.

EDIT

Jala Farquhar: we choose similar passage but my interpretation and yours are far quite different. I know where you come from when you say that they “aren’t nonconversational and passive.” It actually makes me rethink about my thought as those “marks on paper, paint on walls, and motion pictures and television” are passive but provoked people to be active, just like Jala said that  they can give people follow up emotion and thinking. Thus, they make people active in the passive way. Since I am writing about the active communication, I will try to make sure they are active in the active way. I believe this double active way will be even more efficient then I thought it is going to be.

Love to think: I and you both acknowledge the usefulness of devices. Even though we write the different topic, we both know that devices have played a significant role in human communication. Thus, like you implies, the dynamic device can be very helpful. However, it does raise a concern within me. Because the dynamic device allows its owner to mold and channel its power to his own needs, it sounds so much like the mood organ in the book “Does Android Dream of Electric Sheep?” I am afraid that we would live in the same community if we overuse the device. Thus, in the end, I am not sure whether this device is significant or detrimental to human.

Mirna Shaban: I totally agree with you that “devices” have been essential to communication in human world nowadays. However, since it plays a significant role, I am afraid one day it will take over the traditional communication way which is face-to-face communication. If it is constantly developing and improving, it can lead to the downfall of traditional communication. Be aware of the importance of devices and face-to-face communication, I am trying to suggest something in my inquiry project that will maximize both concepts and their usefulness but still keep up with the modern technology.