Outline Inquiry Project

Note: Still some more research I need to get straightened out but this should be the main idea of what’s going on!

I. Introduction

a) Themes 

1) Misogyny

2) Science vs Superstition

3) Religion+Race

II. History

a) Prehistory- 1300BC

b) 1300 BC- 600 BC

c) 500 BC – 420

d) 400- 1400

f)  1400- 1800

g)   1800- present day 

III. Conclusion

IV. Sources

More in depth under the cut.

Continue reading Outline Inquiry Project

CockTail Party Paragraph

Persuasion Map

The idea of witchcraft throughout history has reflected attitudes of racism, sexism, and superstition. Witch superstition and fear was deeply rooted in misogyny; either resulting from hatred of women having power or perpetuating violence against women who went against norms  with physical deformities or social deviance(women who were widows, women who were active part of communities- midwives and healers) . Witchhunts were deeply connected with religious tension. Judaism didn’t approve of paganism and it’s use of magic and this later lead to Christian- run institutions condemning polytheistic magic- users as “Satan worshipers”. Witch-hunts resulted in racism. The Romani people of the 15th century Europe were executed, exiled, and ostracized as evil “G*psys”.  Therefore, the perception of witchcraft by people throughout history reflected their religious beliefs and prejudices. The fear of the unknown mixed with racism and sexism lead to violence and intolerance that still persists today.

Concept 5

Part 1:

Like I said before the article, “The Case for the End of the Modern Zoo” doesn’t really take a personal stance on the issue of morality of zooes. It kinda just points out more evidence is supporting closing them down or at least modifying them.

The author uses the standard medium, linking to other articles, and inserting pictures. The pictures are all of animals in zoos, and some of them provoke sympathy while others seem neutral, like his argument. It’s not bad, but it’s nothing really special either.

Pretty forgettable, in my opinion.
I would have liked more emotion from the author, and more pictures that made a stronger statement then, “I’m writing a piece on zoo animals so here are some pictures of zoo animals”. I know he is just reporting the shift in evidence, but I felt he could have done something more; maybe link some footage of zoo animals or even a piece of documentary on the subject. I am also aware he is writing for a magazine, so he probably doesn’t have a choice in the theme, but it still contributes to the “okay-ness” factor.

Part 2:

As I said before, I chose to use an extra WordPress for my project. WordPress comes with tons of themes, so there are many interesting, unique ones I can choose from that would make my project appealing. It’s formatted in a way that I can link people to each specific argument and section for organization. I can easily insert images, which I will have many of since there are so many symbols and paintings associated with witchcraft.

Basically, I think WordPress is like a lot of blogging sites, it has a standard format that will let me choose a theme and link to other places, I can make it as creative as I am willing to in order to make my audience invested “psychologically and sociologically” in my argument.

Case for the End of the Modern Zoo

• What is the thesis or main claim that the author is making? The author doesn’t seem to be making a stance, they themself seem on the fence and semi-neutral but the main claim is that there is more evidence and public support in ending zoos.
  • Does the author make sub-claims? If so, which ones?         Sub claims could be the evidence he provides (studies have shown, anecdotes from researchers)
  • What kinds of evidence does that author use? (scholarly? Peer-reviewed? Secondary?) The author uses secondary sources (documentaries and articles) and I think he uses peer-reviewed studies that report Virga and Samuel’s views (since Virga was in Times magazine).
  • Is the evidence credible? Why or why not? Not necessarily peer-reviewed, so not entirely reliable.
  • What kinds of rhetorical strategies does the author use? He empathizes with the opposing side at first, but offers more and more insight into this position.
  • Does the author make a logical argument? If so, why? Not really, he doesn’t really make an argument as much as emphasize that one side of the debate has growing evidence for it.
  • Did you find any logical fallacies? None that were very prominent.
  • Overall, did you find the argument persuasive? Why or why not? I was convinced by the end of the article that Zoos should be rid of, however; like I said, it doesn’t feel like he really personally took a position as much as explain why one side had more evidence. He felt like a neutral person judging which case was better.

Nugget 5

“Imagine having your own self-contained knowledge
manipulator in a portable package the size and shape of an
ordinary notebook. Suppose it had enough power to
outrace your senses of sight and hearing, enough capacity
to store for later retrieval thousands of page-equivalents of
reference materials, poems, letters, recipes, records,
drawings, animations, musical scores, waveforms, dynamic
simulations, and anything else you would like to remember
and change.”

Like the other authors whose works we have read, this one seems to be psychic as well.

That’s so Raven was more iconic than the birth of Christ

Just kidding, Kay and Goldeberg didn’t predict modern technology because they were psychic or had powers, they simply understood the purpose of technology and human nature very well.

The whole purpose of the Dynabook was to help the general public. In 1977, the norm was that computers were used for “engineers” and just calculations, but K and G knew the average person could use computers to “to store for later retrieval thousands of page-equivalents of
and change.”

And it’s true, we use the computer in our day to day life, and making it open to the public was a good thing. Not only did it make a wealthy market, but it started many industries (animation, writing, making music with the computer, etc.

This article relates to me in two ways; one I am a computer engineering major, and it’s interesting to see that these people were all so successful because they understood the way people would use computers. When constructing technology, it’s important to figure out how people will use it so you can make it a successful product.

Another way it relates to me is that I’m an average person using technology in my day-to-day life. I use it to check the weather, to write my reports, to talk to people far away- all of the things K and G wanted a computer to do.

And its smaller than a notebook- it’s my phone sometimes!

Updated Research Proposal

After my meeting yesterday with Dr. Becker, I do feel confident about my project so far.

My Research Question is the same:

“How has the idea witchcraft throughout history revealed attitudes and beliefs of people in those times?”

It still makes sense and covers everything I want to discuss in my paper.

The five sources I am confident are

(1) The “Hammer of the Witches” and (2) Leland’s document, because as I discussed earlier, they are historical documents that reveal beliefs of those times. 

(3) “History of Witchhunts before Salem”- even though it is a site I found through Google it is a .edu site that is credible and made for educational purposes. 

(4) An ideal source, a peer- reviewed article in a journal called, The Western European witch-hunt in the 16 th and 17 th centuries. In addition to being a credible source that I found through VCU database it covers the time where a lot of witch- hunts happened.

(5) Is a source I found at my own library called The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft. Even though it has an encyclopedia format it covers a lot of history from prehistoric times to today, which is exactly what I need. The author shares how she made this book with the help of many university professors and archaeologist specialists in the beginning of the book.

As for the format of my essay, I know what it is going to look like because I’ve written manifestos/essays made for the internet before. I know my sections are going to be divided by time periods, and within those sections different subsections for different countries and regions around the world.

I’m probably going to open another site on my wordpress, since it will be easy to access and I know the format very well.

The theme will definitely reflect the topic, I’ll insert historic art work throughtout the essay as well.

But that’s all I want to say for now; no one likes spoilers!

A few more sources

So yesterday I determined two sources I could use, as they were historical documents written in those respective times.

Today I figured out one of my websites, “A History of Witchcraft Persecutions before Salem” the website is a .edu address, so it was probably made for educational purposes by official educating institutions. It’s not peer review, its for general audiences learning for the first time, like myself.

I would have classified it as a middle- ground between substantive and scholarly for these reasons.

Sources- the struggle is real

When I started out planning my Inquiry Project, I began with the pages I found with my first associative trails.  These were not journals or books but I thought it was a good start in learning the information myself and getting an idea of my timeline.

So far, I found two sources I could be credible for this class, The Malleus Maleficiarium and the Leland’s Lore on Roma People.

These two aren’t credible because they are true, but because they were written by people who reflect the thoughts and ideas of people of those times.

Besides those two, I’ve learned a lot from my browsing list; however I don’t think those are sources I can use because they aren’t journals or books, just online articles. If I could use them, it would help, but I would have to investigate them first.

I have found some books and journals from the VCU database; however, I still need to see if they contain the information I want.