Housing Project

I chose Wix for my blog site because they had pre-made templates that you can change to format to your blog style. I want my blog to be like a regular fashion blog with articles added into the mix. I was able to add my own pictures, colors, and edit the whole site how I please. I think the layout of this will help my reader to relate to my writing.

Here is the link to my new blog:

http://bellnb.wix.com/all-things-fashion

Inquiry Project #3

Sorry Im playing catch up but I never wrote about what my topic was going to be on, so here it is!

Looking at other peoples topics worried me because a lot of them are on AI technology. I really struggled with picking a topic so I decided to do something related to my major. As a fashion merchandising student I wanted to write about something related to the fashion industry. I originally wanted to write specifically on fashion forecasting but as I began my research nuggets I realized there were not enough sources. Since then I have decided to redirect my studies on how computers have changed the Fashion Industry as a whole. I think that by writing on the whole fashion industry I will be able to conduct more research and make a better argument. Computers have changed design, marketing, and merchandising. I want my reader to have an understanding of how Computer Aided Design had made it easier for designers, how blogging is a new marketing tool, and how e-commerce is a new aspect of merchandising. So many people discount the fashion industry but their are so many components that don’t receive enough recognition.

Research Question;

What affects does social media have on the fashion industry and are the affects more positive or negative?

Is my topic to broad?

Is there too many components?

Concept Experience #6

1. It has been shown through research that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. If you see more positive posts than negative posts, then you start posting more positive posts as well.

This first bullet does not tell what type of research or by whom the research was conducted. In addition they do not elaborate on the type of feeling displayed.

2.There have been studies done on Facebook and all the emotions related to posts. “We have enough power in this data set to show that emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

I personally would have liked if it said studies conducted. But in addition to that I still don’t know what research was involved, who the study was targeting.

3. Researchers in a new study have found that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. They found enough data to show that “emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

This opens with “Researches in a new study”. We don’t know who the researchers are or what the name of the study is. It also gives the results of the study but never what the initial point of the study we can only assume the point of the study was to see how feeling were altered.

Summary:

After reading the full article there is a distinct difference between the bullets above and #4. Number 4 touches on the main point, who wrote it, and the name of the study. As a reader the other 3 were not horrible but they were not as detailed and you could tell things were missing. Number 3 I could probably read in an article without questioning it but when you compare it to number 4 you can really tell where it is lacking. I appreciate in number 4 that there are no areas where the reader has to assume anything about the article, all the information is given.

Research Nugget #6

Rickman, A.T., Consenza M. R. (2007). The changing digital dynamic of multichannel marketing: the feasibility of the weblog: text mining approach for fast fashion trending. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 11, 604-621. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/docview/235465209?accountid=14780

Accessed From

I think this post represents the major changes taking place in the industry. In particular this article focuses on Fashion Forecasting as well as street style. Fashion Forecasting allows brands to see what is trending and what to create and what not to create. Fashion Forecasters are in the field taking pictures and compiling data in the most trendy cities they go after the fashion innovators. Because everything in the fashion industry is recycled designers have to take an old look and make it new. This article also touches on data and how they are using new tools such as text mining which allows those in the field to sort through key words in a text to better understand the overall concept.

Nugget 1

[15] Friedman and Furey (1999) define channel advantage as an advantage that does last. It is about reaching more customers by using sales channels to meet where and how they want to do business. Dynamic channel advantage is created through “fast” strategy that moves more stuff, reduces costs, improves customer retention and satisfaction, and grows market share and profits by giving customers flexible ways to do business with you. It is not surprising that the Internet has become the key action aspect to obtaining dynamic channel advantage. This occurs in two ways:

by optimizing supply chain interaction – the melding of partnerships to discover, develop, and deliver fast to market style; and.

This nugget is mainly focusing on fast fashion. But as in nugget #5 this paragraph touches on how utilizing every possible channel is what will get you ahead. The internet allows you to reach a larger audience, Facebook and Twitter will allow any company to interact with a large amount of people young and old. This is the fastest way to reach your desired target market within minutes.

Nugget #2

Weblog mining is a special case of data mining ([28] Mena, 1998). The objective is to determine a variety of structural patterns to text data contained within weblogs. The models marry text mining algorithmic attributes and operations with the somewhat unstructured content from the internet blogsphere to determine present and future patterns. [33] Okumura (2005) presents a weblog mining methodology that captures trends on Japanese blogs. Okumura’s weblog mining system automatically extracts and mines “burstiness” (trend, frequency, time-span), “hot words”, and favorable and unfavorable opinions toward objects (i.e. fashion objects) from a collection of specified weblog pages. Although it is in rough form, [17] Fukuhara (2005) developed algorithms and methods that evaluate Chinese weblogs and real time social occurrences to find matches, lag, and leading indicators of social concerns. Building on the work of [18] Gruhl et al. (2004) and [25] Kumar et al. (2003), [31] Nakajima et al. (2005) proposed and tested a methodology to search weblogs to find important bloggers.

This nugget was particularly eye opening. Most of the time when we think of people monitoring key words your brain immediately jumps to Facebook. In Concept experience number 5 we discussed how Facebook conducted a study without us knowing. But it was interesting to see how the fashion industry too compiles data on trending words. The affluential words are compiled and used to see what is trending and what is not trending.

Research Nugget #5

Kim, A. (2012). Do Social Media Marketing Activities Enhance Customer Equity? Journal of Business Research, 65(10). 

Link Here

Summary

This article is discussing how Luxury retailers are re-thinking marketing strategies. The article talks about how major high-end designers are beginning to implement blogging, live fashion show streams, twitter, Facebook, and etc. in to their business. When the economy crashed relying on their brand was not enough so they had to re-position themselves to appeal more to their customers. When they began to do this it showed that stores that implemented social media did better.

Nugget #1

One-third of survey participants posted opinions about products and brands on the brand’s blog, and 36% thought more positively about companies that have blogs. A recent study by DEI Worldwide (2008) provides the following statistics: 70% of consumers have visited social media sites to get information; 49% of these consumers have made a purchase decision based on the information they found through the social media sites; 60% said they were likely to use social media sites to pass along information to others online; and 45% of those who searched for information via social media sites engaged in word-of-mouth. The report states that companies not engaging in social media as part of their online marketing strategy are missing an opportunity to reach consumers. 

This nugget shows that companies that fail to use social media are not keeping up with their competition. There are many arguments against social media in the fashion industry. But as these statistics show consumers don’t think that way as a consumer being able to go online and get information about a brand is crucial. So for those companies that are not on the web it is frustrating and confusing for the consumer because the internets is such an integral part of our world.

Nugget #2

Technology development benefits the world of fashion by attracting customers to interact with the brands. Fashion brands’ involvement in such things as tweeting, blogging, and networking has led luxury brands to participate in the current trend. At first, most of the brands were somewhat reluctant to use technology; however, the industry has come to consider technology as an opportunity rather than a threat. Unlike the first predictions, social media do not act against the positive reputation of brands. Interaction with customers via social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter actually builds up friendly attention, even affection, toward brands and stimulates customers’ desire for luxury.

This shows that luxury brands are being forced to use social media in my opinion. At the bottom of the nugget it talks about how “Unlike the first predictions, social media do not act against the positive reputation of brands”. Although this may be true from a consumer standpoint, industry leaders in the fashion industry may disagree with this. Although consumers have more interaction there is less exclusivity about the product. When a brand loses exclusivity the people purchasing the product move on to the next thing. For example Coach, Tommy Hillfiger, and more recently Michael Kor’s have all flooded the market with their logo that it is no longer viewed as an exclusive product. 

This nugget goes hand in hand with #4 and is showing how more and more companies don’t have the resources not to engage in social media. It is not enough in this day and age to be classic, everyone wants the next big thing and that is what people respond too. Blogging is the big thing in fashion right now and those companies that tapped into bloggers as marketing tools are the ones who are succeeding. I think that right now in my research process my ideas are beginning to unfold, my metaphor for one of the concept experiences was a balloon. Right now my balloon is half way blown up.

Research Nugget #4

Wolverson, R. (2013). The Human Billboard. Time, 181(14). Retrieved from http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu

http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/ehost/detail?vid=11&sid=aa98db5d-c556-4456-aae4-2ca2f2451284%40sessionmgr4002&hid=4206&bdata=JkF1dGhUeXBlPWlwLHVybCxjb29raWUsdWlkJnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZSZzY29wZT1zaXRl#db=a9h&AN=86888763

Summary

This article focuses on internet blogging. The women in this article blog about fashion, food, fitness, and home decor. What sets them apart from the rest of us internet  bloggers is that they get offers from big brands to sponsor their product. The bloggers market the clothes through social media tweets, blogs, youtube, and any other platform that generates views. The article refers to these bloggers as micro-celebrities, because they are getting views by thousands of people and in the social media world they are famous.

Nugget #1

For enterprising bloggers, the lure is simple: income that can range from $100,000 a year to hundreds of thousands more. For marketers, the calculus is more complicated. Yes, they can target audiences, and the price is relatively low compared with already cheap online advertisements. And bloggers can offer a more authentic connection to brands for consumers who are weary of varnished sales pitches from Madison Avenue. But companies are also putting their brands in the hands of untested spokespeople and, in some cases, running into controversy about the blogger-sponsor relationship. Leery consumers prefer that bloggers’ opinions be independent. Just last month, the Federal Trade Commission introduced tighter regulations for socialmedia advertising. Though there are clear successes, it’s far too early to tell if the approach drives more sales than traditional marketing.

I think that this is a good perspective on the way social media is changing fashion. These bloggers are a new form of advertising and it’s interesting to see the positive and negative affects blogging has. Blogging should be independent thoughts but with the opportunity to gain revenue it’s changing the game. On the other hand some may say that bloggers being sponsored by retailers is a good thing and makes the consumer feel more comfortable using the product if somebody else is.

Concept Experience #5

By William Hughes

Jun 27, 2014 3:30 PM

Scientists at Facebook have published a paper showing that they manipulated the content seen by more than 600,000 users in an attempt to determine whether this would affect their emotional state. The paper, “Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks,” was published in The Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences. It shows how Facebook data scientists  tweaked the algorithm that determines which posts appear on users’ news feeds—specifically, researchers skewed the number of positive or negative terms seen by randomly selected users. Facebook then analyzed the future postings of those users over the course of a week to see if people responded with increased positivity or negativity of their own, thus answering the question of whether emotional states can be transmitted across a social network. Result: They can! Which is great news for Facebook data scientists hoping to prove a point about modern psychology. It’s less great for the people having their emotions secretly manipulated.

pawelkuczynski1

facebook mood

In order to sign up for Facebook, users must click a box saying they agree to the Facebook Data Use Policy , giving the company the right to access and use the information posted on the site. The policy lists a variety of potential uses for your data, most of them related to advertising, but there’s also a bit about “internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and service improvement.” In the study, the authors point out that they stayed within the data policy’s liberal constraints by using machine analysis to pick out positive and negative posts, meaning no user data containing personal information was actually viewed by human  researchers. And there was no need to ask study “participants” for consent, as they’d already given it by agreeing to Facebook’s terms of service in the first place.

Facebook data scientist Adam Kramer is listed as the study’s lead author. In an interview the company released a few years ago, Kramer is quoted as saying he joined Facebook because “Facebook data constitutes the largest field study in the history of the world.” It’s a charming reminder that Facebook isn’t just the place you go to see pictures of your friends’ kids or your racist uncle’s latest rant against the government—it’s also an exciting research lab, with all of us as potential test subjects.

Reflection:

This experience definitely enhanced the text. By not clicking on my link the readers missed out on other perspectives regarding this study. I think when you give two perspectives the reader has to analyze the text a lot more and then from there they can take a stance on the topic. Also my pictures I think were pretty thought provoking. The first one is insinuating that Facebook traps you from seeing the world, you end up viewing the world from someone else’s experiences instead of your own. I really want to use this technique in my own final project.

EBSCO HOST TUTORIAL WORK

Research Question: How is social media positively or negatively affecting the Fashion Forecasting Industry?

Key Words

Intellectual Property AND Social Media

History ANDFashion

Style Forecasting AND Fashion

Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 9.46.27 AM Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 9.46.10 AM Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 9.45.51 AM

Doing research made me realize that I may need to re-think my research question slightly because Fashion Forecasting is highly specialized field. Im thinking about writing on the affects of media on the fashion industry and use fashion forecasting in the body as supporting evidence to my claim. Research number 7 and number 9 I feel will be the two most helpful pieces because number 7 gives background into intellectual property infringement within social and media and number 9 discusses bloggers (non-celebrity endorsements) as means of advertising their clothing.