Research Nugget #4

Wolverson, R. (2013). The Human Billboard. Time, 181(14). Retrieved from http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu

http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/ehost/detail?vid=11&sid=aa98db5d-c556-4456-aae4-2ca2f2451284%40sessionmgr4002&hid=4206&bdata=JkF1dGhUeXBlPWlwLHVybCxjb29raWUsdWlkJnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZSZzY29wZT1zaXRl#db=a9h&AN=86888763

Summary

This article focuses on internet blogging. The women in this article blog about fashion, food, fitness, and home decor. What sets them apart from the rest of us internet  bloggers is that they get offers from big brands to sponsor their product. The bloggers market the clothes through social media tweets, blogs, youtube, and any other platform that generates views. The article refers to these bloggers as micro-celebrities, because they are getting views by thousands of people and in the social media world they are famous.

Nugget #1

For enterprising bloggers, the lure is simple: income that can range from $100,000 a year to hundreds of thousands more. For marketers, the calculus is more complicated. Yes, they can target audiences, and the price is relatively low compared with already cheap online advertisements. And bloggers can offer a more authentic connection to brands for consumers who are weary of varnished sales pitches from Madison Avenue. But companies are also putting their brands in the hands of untested spokespeople and, in some cases, running into controversy about the blogger-sponsor relationship. Leery consumers prefer that bloggers’ opinions be independent. Just last month, the Federal Trade Commission introduced tighter regulations for socialmedia advertising. Though there are clear successes, it’s far too early to tell if the approach drives more sales than traditional marketing.

I think that this is a good perspective on the way social media is changing fashion. These bloggers are a new form of advertising and it’s interesting to see the positive and negative affects blogging has. Blogging should be independent thoughts but with the opportunity to gain revenue it’s changing the game. On the other hand some may say that bloggers being sponsored by retailers is a good thing and makes the consumer feel more comfortable using the product if somebody else is.

4 thoughts on “Research Nugget #4”

1. From the nugget I sense there’s a potential conflict or problem you can explore further: “But companies are also putting their brands in the hands of untested spokespeople and, in some cases, running into controversy about the blogger-sponsor relationship.” Did the author talk more fully about these conflicts? Can you look into it more fully? It seems that companies benefit by these bloggers, but could potentially be hurt by them as well. Some examples may help you provide strong evidence in your argument.

2. I don’t know if I’m the only one that notices this, but I think it’s too obvious when a blogger or writer is trying to push a certain product. They don’t seem genuine enough, but maybe i’ve just seen bad examples. Either way, it’s interesting and I didn’t know it was such a common thing for advertisers to work with bloggers.

3. It is interesting that companies are trusting these untested spokes people! Do women make a career with this job and do they work full time or is this just someone’s hobby?

I am still a little confused on how this system works so I’ll probably have to do more reading in your other posts. From what I can conclude I also agree with Justin’s comment when he states that they don’t seem genuine enough but I’m sure that is just use thinking differently. There has to be people out there that trust this stuff much more than we do.

Sorry for the late comment.

4. I really enjoyed reading your article, its interesting in my opinion when bloggers try to push certain products. Sometimes I get confused if the blogger is doing it out of their good heart or if they are getting paid. Whenever I’m looking for certain products and I see bloggers post their opinions on it, I value it because they are giving their point of view which is important to me and many other potential customers.