Weekly Web Harvest for 2019-07-07

• At VidCon, Influencers, Fans, And Brands Seemed Ready To Leave YouTube Behind
    At one point, the party converged around an Instagram-famous Pomeranian wearing a leather jacket and sunglasses. The dog’s owner was trying to yell out the dog’s Instagram handle over the sound of guests singing Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone” on a karaoke machine on the other side of the room.
  • TheyDrawIt!: An Authoring Tool for Belief-Driven Visualization
    This is really solid.

Need to look at the privacy stuff but an awesome thing to exist.

• EarthRoamer – The Global Leader in Luxury Expedition Vehicles
    Since 1998, EarthRoamer has been redefining luxury camping and overland travel with our solar/diesel hybrid, four-wheel drive Xpedition Vehicles (XVs).
  • Old Weather
    Help scientists transcribe Arctic and worldwide weather observations recorded in ship’s logs since the mid-19th century.
  • You Can Apply to Hunt Pythons With Shotguns in Florida
    There are currently 40 paid snake hunters who hunt pythons in the Everglades. Remarkably, they earn anywhere from $8.25-$15 an hour, plus an additional $50 for each python. They also get $25 for every foot of length beyond four feet, as well as a $200 bonus for each nest. This new shotgun initiative will bump the number of hunters to 120.
  • The Navy’s USS Gabrielle Giffords and the Future of Work – The Atlantic
    Unbeknownst to the participants, the scoring rules changed partway through the game. When this happened, he noticed that players who scored high on conscientiousness did worse. Instead of adapting to the new rules, they kept doing what they were doing, only more intently, and this impeded their performance. They were the victims of their own dogged persistence.

–not sure how much of this whole thing makes sense but interesting to see how people think about it

Weekly Web Harvest for 2019-06-30

YouTube Full Screen – Javascript & CSS

I’m sticking this js/css combo in a number of the WordPress themes we’re building.

It’s two pieces, a javascript piece that finds the YouTube videos and wraps them in a div and a CSS Piece that makes the videos full size for the enclosing div. It stops overflows from getting ugly and expands small embeds (via oembed or embed code).

I think it’s handy and I keep having to go to codepen to find it. So now it’s here.

See the Pen
full size youtube/vimeo
by Tom (@twwoodward)
on CodePen.

Weekly Web Harvest for 2019-06-23

Weekly Web Harvest for 2019-06-16

• xkcd: Stack
    Moder tech stack
  • You Are Now Browsing In Incognito Mode – McSweeney’s Internet Tendency
  • Who Gets to Own the West? – The New York Times
    f America. In the last decade, private land in the United States has become increasingly concentrated in the hands of a few. Today, just 100 families own about 42 million acres across the country, a 65,000-square-mile expanse, according to the Land Report, a magazine that tracks large purchases. Researchers at the magazine have found that the amount of land owned by those 100 families has jumped 50 percent since 2007.
  • Norwegian island wants to become the world’s first time-free zone – Story | KTVU
    “When you live in Northern Norway, it doesn’t make sense to talk about daylight saving time, bedtime, dinner time, or any other time,” says Kjell Ove Hveding, one of the key islanders behind the initiative. “The midnight sun makes clocks an unnecessary nuisance, and we wish to be a time-free zone.”

–just talking about removing the concept of time from my life earlier today

• The javascript spreadsheet
    jExcel is a lightweight vanilla javascript plugin to create amazing web-based interactive tables and spreadsheets compatible with Excel or any other spreadsheet software. You can create an online spreadsheet table from a JS array, JSON, CSV or XSLX files. You can copy from excel and paste straight to your jExcel spreadsheet and vice versa. It is very easy to integrate any third party javascript plugins to create your own custom columns, custom editors, and customize any feature into your application. jExcel has plenty of different input options through its native column types to cover the most common web-based application requirements. It is a complete solution for web data management. Create amazing applications with jExcel javascript spreadsheet.
  • The Robot Choir
  • Teachers Often Experience ‘Moral Injury’ on the Job, Study Finds – Teaching Now – Education Week Teacher
    But a new study in the American Educational Research Journal finds that some of these choices may be causing teachers moral injury—that is, the feeling that they or their colleagues are making decisions that go against their deeply held values. In a survey of educators in an urban Midwest district, 4 in 5 said they witnessed other staff doing things that were morally wrong, while almost half said they themselves had acted in a way that betrayed their values. 
  • Tekakak – the new school of the Techno-Absurd – Technoskeptic – A Technoskeptic, Techno-Realist Forum – Known as Blackhole.City

Baby Snarf

This is a ridiculous thing. It came into my head the other day and it amused at least a few of my children . . . once I explained what Snarf was.

I plan to make ridiculous things more often. I initially had it up on SoundCloud but they took it down after a few hours as a copyright violation. Rather than fighting them about what my rights are, I’m just putting it up on my own site.

Then I couldn’t find a decent1 Snarf gif on Giphy so I made one of those too. Nothing fancy in either case but this is the kind of useless, amusing things that I really like about digital media and the Internet. Consider it the opposite of surveillance capitalism.

The character Snarf from Thundercats rubbing its hands.

Baby Snarf

Weekly Web Harvest for 2019-06-09

Weekly Web Harvest for 2019-06-02