Gravity Forms Notification to Google Spreadsheet

The idea that data can flow to different places for different purposes is one of the key concepts I want people to believe in. Different technologies and different interfaces have different affordances depending on what you’re trying to do. In this case, we’ve built some online training for students. As part of that training they need to sign off indicating they read various rules and safety advice. We’re using Gravity Forms to collect that information. We’re going to set a special notification email that’s easier to parse in addition to the regular email that gets sent out (that one is oriented towards student confirmation and alerting the individual faculty). Gravity Forms Notification We’re just going to put the student email and faculty email in the subject line with a space between them. I did some fancier stuff early but went back to this when I realized what we were doing just wasn’t complex enough to justify extra drama. I set the from name to Health Hub Logger so it’d be easier to write the filter in GMail. Notifications in Gravity Forms are pretty straight forward but you can find out more on their site. GMail Filter I then setup a filter in GMail so that I could be confident that the Google Script could find these emails and that I […] […]

Read More…

Gravity Forms to Graph Interaction

I’ve long wanted to build more interactive digital content after being inspired by Brett Victor’s explorable explanations. I’m now finally coming to the place where my ability to build things is starting to match my desire to create them. This particular piece of interactive content was inspired by the NYT’s You Draw It Obama article. We did a direct imitation with carbon sequestration a while ago but I liked the broader concept of guessing at something and then being presented with data. In this case we’re trying to get people to think a little harder about the good things they got out of life just by being born. Form Tweaking First I wanted to tweak the gravity form layout. Given our first question was a placement on a scale of -10 to 10, that content needed to be arranged horizontally. This is Gravity Forms and the radio button input type. So I copied the HTML into a codepen to play with it. This is the result. See the Pen gform layout by Tom (@twwoodward) on CodePen. Results Display Another pattern I find myself repeating is roughing out the data display portion in Codepen. I can then figure out how I need Gravity Forms/WordPress to pass the data live but it’s easier to build out the experience a bit without worrying […] […]

Read More…

Gravity Forms to Graph Interaction

Read More…

Tag Cloud from Gravity Form Entries WP Plugin

Based on a conversation I had on Tuesday there appeared to be a need to generate a tag cloud1 from Gravity Forms responses. I didn’t see any immediate solutions after browsing for plugins. Granted, I could have jerry rigged something by creating posts and doing something weird where I added the words as tags . . . but I’m trying to do things in a more sustainable way lately and I figured this wouldn’t be too tough. I’m going to try to do a decent job of moving through the development process in stages. If you just want to mess with the plugin, it’s on GitHub. Find a Decent Tag Cloud Library I looked around and found wordcloud2.js. It seemed perfect. It has some real flexibility and the hard work has been done for me. I played around with a demo in CodePen. This lets me work out any kinks I might have in the js/html/css side of things before adding any WordPress and PHP complexities. If I don’t force patterns like this, I’ll add enough complexity that figuring out which thing I’m not understanding is much harder. It might take some extra time but it saves me quite a bit more in the long run. Building the Plugin Foundation enqueue the main scripts Following my mantra of slowly adding […] […]

Read More…

Gravity Forms to ACF Pattern

When you use Gravity Forms to make a post, you can provision ACF fields but what I found was that the data wasn’t showing up correctly until I manually went and updated the created post. I tried using the WordPress wp_update_post() function but found that didn’t do it. I ended up taking a look at the post_meta in the database directly.1 That’s something that I find myself doing more and more. When you can look directly at evidence, do that. Don’t assume. So what I saw was this . . . You can see that the base custom fields are there. The data is visible. Now I hit update and refreshed the database view and saw lots of new custom fields get generated. This data associates the human readable fields with the field keys that ACF creates. Note the underscores which prevent those fields from showing up in the backend of WP even if you have view custom fields selected. I feel like this has something to do with acf/save_post but couldn’t figure out how to make that work. When my knowledge fails,2 I resort to force. First, I turned on the ability to see the field keys in ACF. It’s easy to miss and easy to forget that this is a Screen Option in WP. Once I could see […] […]

Read More…

Auto Featured Image for Gravity Forms Posts by Response

This scenario is fairly specific, Gravity Forms to post and adding a specific featured image based on a form field but the ease of assigning a featured image via the media post ID is hand elsewhere and it’s always nice to document more ways to tweak Gravity Forms. Step One Upload your images to the WP Media Library. After uploading the images you want to use, go to the Media Library and change the view to list view. If you mouse over the edit button, you’ll see a URL appear in the bottom right of your browser window. Setup Your Form Take note of the entry ID of the form element that’s going to determine the featured image. It’s likely the same number you’d get if you counted the fields from top to bottom but if you made them and rearranged them it could be something else. If you mouse over the field in the form editor, you’ll see the form ID in blue. The Code Now we’re just writing a bit of PHP to tie into the form. In this case I’m tying it just to form 5 with this action add_action( ‘gform_after_submission_5’, ‘altlab_timeline_featured_image’, 10, 2 );. Leaving off the _5 would apply it to all forms and changing the 5 to another number would target another form. In […] […]

Read More…

Backdating a Gravity Forms Created Post

This is something that’ll come in handy with forms creating timeline events. You can add a date field to the form and this will change the post date to match it. It might work the other way too, I didn’t try that. Take note of the notes below as this is setup for the date being field one of the form and for the form having ID 5. […]

Read More…