Persistent Check Off List

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/bionicte/public_html/wp-includes/feed-rss2.php:11) in /home/bionicte/public_html/wp-content/plugins/danger_mouse.php on line 35
Origin Story We’re doing the Photography is Magic course again this semester. One thing we do the first week is go around and the room and students say a word that has something to do with their major, life etc. We also name some cliche image types from Instagram. We end up with a large list of words that form the basis of a photography scavenger hunt. We ended up with 67 words this time around. This time around I decided I’d try to do all the words by the next class. I started another account and began taking the pictures. I quickly realized I couldn’t easily remember what I’d shot and wanted a quick reference for words I needed and to keep track of what I’d already done. Try it out here if you’d like. Making it Since the words were already in Google Sheets I went with the typical Sheets to JSON pattern. I’ve covered that way too many times on this site already. The more interesting part was using local storageJeff had advised using this rather than cookies for something else I did earlier and I remembered it this time around. to keep the value of the checkboxes. I found an article on it and was able to repurpose that code in a few minutes to do […] […]

Read More…

Gravity Forms to Graph Interaction

I’ve long wanted to build more interactive digital content after being inspired by Brett Victor’s explorable explanations. I’m now finally coming to the place where my ability to build things is starting to match my desire to create them. This particular piece of interactive content was inspired by the NYT’s You Draw It Obama article. We did a direct imitation with carbon sequestration a while ago but I liked the broader concept of guessing at something and then being presented with data. In this case we’re trying to get people to think a little harder about the good things they got out of life just by being born. Form Tweaking First I wanted to tweak the gravity form layout. Given our first question was a placement on a scale of -10 to 10, that content needed to be arranged horizontally. This is Gravity Forms and the radio button input type. So I copied the HTML into a codepen to play with it. This is the result. See the Pen gform layout by Tom (@twwoodward) on CodePen. Results Display Another pattern I find myself repeating is roughing out the data display portion in Codepen. I can then figure out how I need Gravity Forms/WordPress to pass the data live but it’s easier to build out the experience a bit without worrying […] […]

Read More…

Gravity Forms to Graph Interaction

Read More…

Making an Index Using Javascript

Working with a faculty member we had a rather long page that was originally written in Google Docs. It had many sections that were (mostly) designated by H tags of various denominations. The goal was to and put it on a website quickly build an index of anchor links. I did not wish to do the index portion by hand. With javascript things like this are relatively pleasant. You can see the whole thing in this codepen but I’ll break it down a bit below. First we can get all the H tags with querySelectorAll. I can console.log(headers) and I’ll see a NodeList of all the headers it found. I tend to work console.log all my variables as I go just to make sure it’s really happening the way I think it is. My next move is to add an id to each of these headers so that we can navigate to them via anchor links. with this forEach loop each header will get an id of header-whatever number we’re on in the loop. Now that I have headers that I can link to as anchor links, I need to build the index and put it somewhere. In this case it was easy for me to add a div to the source manually so I did. That will be where […] […]

Read More…

Google Sheets Data Flow

This is a pretty specific thing but the concepts ought to be broadly applicable and interesting for the 3 to 5 people who will end up reading this. It’s a fairly amusing blend of less standard Google Functions and a bit of Google Script to do something fairly decent that had been quite a bit of hassle to do previously. We have Social Work students who are assigned to various supervisor/liaison people. There are a lot of students. We wanted students to be able to submit a form to Google Drive and we’d keep track of all this and show only the relevant data to the various supervisors. Files from Form Setting up a form that requires you to be logged in and accepts files is now very easy in Google Forms. It also remains easy to log that information to a spreadsheet associated with the form. Merging the Data The student email address became the unique ID that would allow us to tie the form submission to the list of students and their programs, liaisons etc. Now we needed a formula to link these two sheets via email. I started with =VLOOKUP but that would have required the student email to be the leftmost column in the data and that would be awkward for other things. After some banging […] […]

Read More…

Starting to Think Through a Mapping Theme with ACF

We’re working with Dr. Nicole Turner on a mapping site that will accompany her upcoming book. There’s a lot of specifics there which we’re considering while trying to walk the fine line where what we make is also something we’ll be able to use with other people down the road. We want to generalize but not too much. I’m sketching out some early thinking here as a way to document it personally and to share it with Jeff (who’s thinking through the javascript side of things).1 Thinking About the Data It seems that any mapping project would have three basic data types– People, Locations, and Events. People because humans are usually important in these scenarios. Locations being important in mapping and events for things that have limited duration. Matt described it well as the Who, When, and Where. Those types could be associated with each other in multiple ways. A person might be associated with various locations and various events. Events might involve various people in various places. If I think too hard I’ll make this more complex. The Custom Post Types & ACF Structure I feel relatively good about those three main types so breaking down the details of what those big boxes should contain was the next consideration. People First Name Middle Name Last Name Title Description/Bio Birth […] […]

Read More…