Hider – Remove Elements via URL Parameters Plugin

Origin Story About a week ago I posted about a theme that was designed to integrate into the LMS via iframe embeds. The goal was to strip out extra things like headers and sidebars that were confusing or unwanted. You’d still have a normal WordPress site at your regular URL but would be able to selectively embed chunks of it in the LMS in whatever way you desired. That is the key that I don’t think I stressed enough. You could easily add CSS display:none and whittle you site down via the customizer but I wanted to be able to do that only when embedding the site (or linking to the stripped down version). After some back and forth conversation on Twitter I decided to write a simpler version as a plugin rather than a theme so it could be used more broadly. The plugin is here if you want to give it a shot. The Pieces To make things simpler I wanted all the divs to have an ID. I considered giving an ID to everything but figured in 95% of the cases the major pieces of the theme would be in divs. That’s an amazingly easy thing to do in javascript. I could have made this even more concise but figured this would be easier to understand. The […] […]

Read More…

WordPress for LMS iFrame Infiltration

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/bionicte/public_html/wp-includes/feed-rss2.php:11) in /home/bionicte/public_html/wp-content/plugins/danger_mouse.php on line 35
Origin Story Over the years I’ve seen a number of people embedding WordPress within the LMS using iframes. There are lots of reasons to do this but it’s not something that WordPress is really meant to do. You end up with an odd feeling as it’s a website within a website and many things feel out of place (headers, footers, sidebars). I said something on Twitter one time that I might make a theme that would behave better in those kinds of scenarios. I was able to find that tweet using Twitter’s semi-hidden advanced search. Note that Sept. 9, 2018 date. It’s been a while but here’s a super simple theme that tries to play well in the land of iframe embeds. What is the best #WordPress theme that allows a seamless #LMS integration? #webdev #EdTech #bcpse — Erin Beattie ??? (@ehbeattie) September 9, 2018 Show Only What You Want As is my pattern, I figured I could hide most of the extra things through javascript and use the URL’s query string parameters1 as the way to decide what was shown. I haven’t built out all the various parameters but for this theme, I added some javascript to look at the URL for a ‘show’ parameter. So https://baseurl.com/some-page/?show=article will show only the tag for this theme. You can see how […] […]

Read More…