Civil War: A Library of Congress Book

,

Publication date:
Publisher:

Flesch–Kincaid

Description

<span style="font-weight: 400;">This is a nonfiction text about the Civil War. The book is broken up into several different chapter. It discusses reasons why the nation was divided. The text also states the advantages to both the North and the South. The book also has a lot of photographs from the war. The text also goes into detail about what a drummer boy is and what life was like at the camps for the soldiers. The text also explains what what this war so different from other wars. One of the most engaging aspects of this text will be the pictures. Each page in the book as a great deal of pictures. Some of the pictures are photographs and others are paintings.</span>

Readability

I identified this text as a Fry Readability Graph Reading Level 9.

Use in Class

Since the reading level of this text is 9th grade. I will be reading this to my students. I will use this as a hook for multiple lessons with the interactive notebook. I will also use the text to display the pictures on the board using the document camera. For one lesson, I will show the students a picture and have them answer several questions regarding the picture (something that we learned in the Media Literacy class). This text will cover all the standards under VS.7. The student will demonstrate an understanding of the issues that divided our nation and led to the Civil War by explaining the major events and the differences between northern and southern states that divided Virginians and led to secession, war, and the creation of West Virginia; describing Virginia’s role in the war, including identifying major battles that took place in Virginia; and describing the roles of American Indians, whites, enslaved African Americans, and free African Americans.This will be used in the Preparation and Assistance phase of PAR.

Unit Focus

Social Studies

Submitted by