The ABC Quick Check

NHTSA

Bibliography:
ABC Quick Check. (n.d.). Retrieved 2015, from http://search.usa.gov/search?utf8=✓&affiliate=dot-nhtsa&query=ABC quick check&searchCommit=Search

Flesch–Kincaid

3.9

Description

The text is a page in length (Which could be turned into a poster for class) guide describing how to check a bike to assure it is in working order before use.  It goes over the basics, and is not a in depth overview on bike maintenance. The audience is geared towards new or returning riders. This guide was created be the league of American Bicyclists and used with permission from NHTSA. This is a very important safety check before anyone uses a bike. Which is why it needs to be reviewed during a bike maintenance lesson. Students will enjoy reviewing this because it is a easy read for struggling readers. The absence of difficult vocabulary and the pictures that are provided will make a struggling reader feel more confident that they can read the text.

Readability

Most middle school students will feel very comfortable with the vocabulary within the text. The heading of each section is the color purple with a bold font. There are basic pictures of the different parts of the bike that correspond to the part of the bike being checked. Students who have background knowledge in the “anatomy” of a bike will have a better understanding of the text than those who do not, due to the provided pictures not having any labeling. However, some words are decodeable because of the in-depth explanation of the text.  The general vocabulary is well controlled with few terms that students might have questions on. Unfortunately, there is no glossary for the bike “anatomy” terms such as derailleur in the text. Sexual, racial economic, cultural and political biases are absent in this text. The concept of the ABC quick check is appropriate for the grade level due to the importance of safety.

Use in Class

In the classroom setting I would have the text enlarged into a poster size picture. I would use this in the class before their first bike ride. All students will each have their own bike. I will read over the poster step by step explaining what each part of the ABC Quick Check means. Another option available is to have the students volunteer to read the poster. After the description is read I will demonstrate how to check the different components. For example, I will explain what “A” means and demonstrate how to check the air pressure in the tire. Students will then have a chance to check their tires. Next, I would explain how to fix the problem, in this case, on how to put air into the tires. For those students who have flat tires they may practice adding air into their tires. This gives students an opportunity for hands on learning.

Unit Focus

Health

Submitted by Christine Curtis