The Civil War for Kids: A History with 21 Activities

,

Publication date:
Publisher:

Flesch–Kincaid

Description

<span style="font-weight: 400;">This text is very similar to the other texts. The only difference is that this book has several activities for the students to complete as well. This nonfiction text covers all the major concepts and topics in the Civil War. It broken up into fourteen different chapters. Each chapter has a hands on activity that the students can complete. </span>

Readability

I identified this text as a Fry Readability Graph Reading Level early 6.

Use in Class

Since this text has a lot of the same information as the other texts, I would use this primarily for the activities. I will read the page about the spies during the Civil War. After the reading, I will have the students complete the activity to Create a Code. I will give each student a code to create. These quotes or sayings will be important to the Civil War. This text also has a lot if information based on important people during the war. Therefore, I will also use the text to read about these famous people, so the students can create a foldable. This text will help students understand the standard: VS.7 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the issues that divided our nation and led to the Civil War by describing the roles of American Indians, whites, enslaved African Americans, and free African Americans. This will be used in the Assistance phase of PAR.

Unit Focus

Social Studies

Submitted by