Personal Statement

My name is Nickolas “Nick” Roche, I am currently a student of physical therapy at Virginia Commonwealth University. I grew up in Norfolk, Virginia after some time in Cleveland, Ohio and Rochester, Michigan. My undergraduate education was at the University of Virginia, where I graduated in 2021 with a B.S.Ed. in kinesiology. I am motivated to put myself in a position where I can interact with others in a meaningful and positive manner. For me, this manifested in the pursuance of physical therapy as a career.

Defining roles in my educational journey include having been the caretaker of a teenage boy with cerebral palsy, working at an outpatient PT clinic specializing in the care of individuals with intellectual disabilities, my own experience with a PT in the conservative treatment of my anterolisthesis, and my passion for fitness. Fortunately, these experiences culminated in my joining the VCU DPT class of 2024. It is incredibly rewarding to work alongside individuals with intellectual disabilities, I also have a strong fascination with shoulder and back rehabilitation. The time that I spent working at an outpatient PT clinic exposed me to the joys of those with intellectual disabilities; however, my favorite cases were those pertaining to the back and shoulder.  It is in these areas that I received the most training and spent the majority of my time.

My career goal is to be a positive and effective clinician in an outpatient orthopedic setting with a special emphasis on the treatment of shoulder and back patients. I am a firm believer in holistic care, exercise as medicine, and patient education. I hope to master these, along with other interventions, to facilitate successful patient outcomes.