Two Disagreeing Sources

The Death of Privacy
“Insidiously, through small concessions that only mounted up over time, we have signed away rights and privileges that other generations fought for, undermining the very cornerstones of our personalities in the process.”

Revealing the Superficial Me
“To elaborate, early studies of offline self-disclosure tended to focus on the amount of information imparted from one individual to another (Jourard, 1971), with a subsequent focus on self-disclosure comprising of four sub-categories: the depth of intimacy, honesty or accuracy, amount and valence, as well as the associated intentions of a self-discloser”

The two sources can have similarities and differences, but stands out over the other. For the first source, it seems to have a definitive stand on the existence of privacy today, which the writer says is faded and a complete goner. He sounds like he has a very bitter taste in his mouth about it too. As for my second source, they have more on the idea that privacy is not completely gone if you remember the four things that you must keep in check when sharing information to the rest of the world.

Nugget in Sources #3

“They invite a sense of self and of self in relation to others that has always been present on the Internet but is quite visible, very standardized, global, and relatively well mainstreamed when compared to the Internet in 1993.” -“The Psychology of Blogging: You, Me, and Everyone in Between” Laura J. Gurak

This is a great connection to my YouTube vloggers. This nugget perfectly explains as to why they do they do what they do. They connect to others, a connection that sometimes can be unbearable between a blogger and their viewer. They might not have met each other but they seem so close from all the things they know. Yes that only works one way but the blogger should know what their viewers like. The viewers like them so just continue being themselves right? As bad as the social media sounds these days because of bullying and porn, there’s some great pros to it, if only people would focus on that idea.

Nuggeting Sources #2

“Some privacy is required for individuals to self-actualize. Privacy is arguably necessary for advancing the self and protecting the integrity of relationships. Having insulation against outside scrutiny is important for experimenting with aspects of the self without fear of retribution.” -“Publicly Private and Privately Public: Social Networking on YouTube” Patricia Lange
With the focus of privacy, I have chosen this nugget because it beautifully explains how privacy is defined in this social networking generation. It elaborates why society willingly provides information to the world; an information that can never be erased. With the YouTube stars, they provide personal information of themselves to their viewers that can be easily used against them. They strip themselves completely in front of the world, completely and utterly vulnerable. As awful as that sounds, just like what my nugget says, there’s a purpose to it. There’s an underlying reason as to why people do it. As long we know who we are, and when to stop then we are fine.

Progress on Question Reflection

So far from the nuggets that I have found, I have great backups for my main question for my final inquiry project. My main goal is to talk about the existence of privacy these days, especially in the world of YouTube. Although I do find myself on tending to stray away from the whole YouTube thing. I will try to keep my focus on there and try not to broaden my question: out of YouTube but into the big pool of social media.

Reflection of Concept Experience

The sources that I have found for my final project that I nuggeted will be very useful for the over all look of my final inquiry project. But as I re read them once again, it seemed like they have more difference than similarities, which I could’ve pointed out since we are comparing them for the concept experience.

Nuggeting Sources Concept Experience

The Death of Privacy

Revealing the Superficial Me

The new source that I have found at first glance, doesn’t seem at all connected to my first source. But when looked at closely and read once again, they could both be from the same article, which they’re not I promise you. They both agree on the idea on how we have given up our privacy to the world. The second source got this concept from the growing fame of online speed dating, while for the first source it’s from the look and feel of this generation’s social media popularity. Although, from not so different ends of the spectrum, they both agree on one great thing; where is privacy?

Perfect Look for my Project

After a long thought process, I want to be as creative as I can when it comes to this project, considering on how much free range we have when it comes to creativity. I will try talking in second person…I will try. The sources for this project will include, of course my dreamers, and some articles about social media privacy I found on the online database. As for the look of my project, I’m still at a loss because I’m not sure whether or not I should go for something girly (I.e. Curly fonts, rainbows, and unicorns) or just what I can do with the time that is given to me, since I want to mainly focus on what I’m writing on the website. Maybe if I have time in my hands, it’ll be something more creative than the picture that is currently in my head.

Media for my Project

I have thought about this, and fortunately, I have chosen a topic that has the whole entire social media at my feet. But I would be focusing more on the YouTube idea so certain videos of vloggers and YouTube personnel would be suitable for my project. I may try to find some cute punny comics, but only if it will fit my project. Since unfortunately my crude and sarcastic jokes cannot be considered as a media, I’m just going to stick to YouTube videos and interesting gifs I might find online

Engelbart Reflection

Engelbart has exactly the society’s view of technology today. It’s a breakthrough and that it will help the world as we know it. As pessimistic as this sounds, there will be a time when all this knowledge is hindering us from expanding our knowledge about other things. Humans will be too content on what technology can provide for them. They will not have time to actually think and say “what can I do with these hands?” Everything will be done by machine and we’ll all sit there all fat and lumpy. I guess this animosity is coming from the part of my brain that tells me I can survive any kind of phenomenon, considering that I have lived in a third world country, a place where having water and electricity are the best times of your life.
Unfortunately, I cannot only post about how much I hate technology. Engelbart might actually be very important to my inquiry project because of the nugget that I have obtained. I guess the word nugget really is fitting for these quotes that I find from their articles.

Engelbart Nugget Revision

I read the nugget that I’ve chosen for Engelbart again and I was pretty happy with my choice. This has been the only nugget that I’ve been truly in love with, just with the way it touches me. Although one word changes the tone of it all, I’m trying hard not to let it affect me again, just like how it did when I first wrote my explanation about why I have chosen that nugget. The word limited is just so harsh because only we limit ourselves on what we are capable of. A lot of great human intellects have put a mark into this world that makes us slowly break down the wall of limits. I mean our ancestor did eat from the fruit of knowledge, we shouldn’t put that to waste. I could go on all day about this whole thing but I feel like I’ve said enough when I first explained my nugget.