Housing Project

For my project, I plan to house it in WIx. The reason that I want to choose Wix is because out of all the different sites that I have seen, I feel that Wix is more compatible and that I am able to customize it more giving me my own freedom in order to express my idea more openly.  I also feel that with Wix it gives that more a futuristic design to it which is really compatible with my main theme of artificial intelligence.

http://thomasnv2.wix.com/nikhil-thomas

This is the link to my site, I still have a long way to go before it is up and running to the vision I have in mind, but I needed to start somewhere.

Partial Draft Assignment

Throughout the past three weeks, I have spend time find sources both scholarly and  non-scholarly and have spent time reading each one and analyzing on what the author of each source was trying to convey. As stated in my previous blog posts, my research question is; How will artificial intelligence help the future and in what aspect? And is their a potential downside to the evolution of artificial intelligence? One thing that all the authors have in common is that a future with AI technology is destined and the work for AI has been happening for long time, but only within the past couple of years has the progress accelerated due to advancements in other fields and that fact of better materials and capital for the development of AI.

Another thing that most of the authors stated was that the development of AI can both be a blessing and curse for mankind. Yes AI will help mankind out by helping out with our day to days tasks and it will help make our lives easier and simpler. But however, some of the authors chimed in by saying that as AI technology continues to advance mankind will slowly stop advancing and instead will be stationary in our evolution. Evolution for mankind helped us out to be compatible with our environment and any time it changes we will slowly change to adapt it. The authors said that AI technology can make us lazy and that will start loosing our brain capacity, of course not all of us but a good portion of mankind might slide back on the evolution tree and no AI technology can help stop that.

Another thing that some of the authors chimed in was that the development of AI is only restrained my mankind’s creativity. As long as we can think of a problem, we can create something that will solve it for us. The one thing that many people get confused is that people think that AI is robots or devices, but little do they know that AI is the programming the robots are nothing but a capsule for a program. AI has been a huge past of mankind during the past couple of years, for example, look at siri, bluetooth, the different type of sensors in our cars such has cruise control, blind side detector and so on.

When it comes to my research I feel that the most confusing or hard to understand area is when I call into question how will artificial intelligence help the future and in what aspect? The reason that I am confused is because to answer this question can be tricky. I am to mention the different types of AI tech that can help in the future and how will they help us? In that case I guess I should find the top 5 or 10 future AI tech of the future and give some detail of it and state on how they will help mankind. Or, Am I supposed to say how AI can help in different fields such as in the field of medicine or in science or in math and so on?

I claim that artificial intelligence will change how mankind will live in the future.

because artificial intelligence can help carry out day to day activities..

because they can carry out tasks that were once dangerous to man..

because they can destroy how man have evolved

Concept Experience #6

• It has been shown through research that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. If you see more positive posts than negative posts, then you start posting more positive posts as well.

First of all, this statement was to vague their was not enough detail at all. The first article that was linked didn’t even have good information that backed up the statement and the second linked article had nothing to do with Facebook or anything related to social media. The last sentence was just a simple sentence, their was no meaning, no examples and it did not go in depth at all. 

• There have been studies done on Facebook and all the emotions related to posts. “We have enough power in this data set to show that emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

In this statement, I liked how more in-depth the writing was compared to the previous one. I wish they had a better link for the first link, since all it did was take me to my Facebook account which really does not help the statement one bit. They should have found an article or something that explains the relation of online post to emotions. 

• Researchers in a new study have found that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. They found enough data to show that “emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

I feel that their needs to be more information about this “new study” such as where did the study take place, who participated in the study, how long did the study take place, and who conducted the study. I feel a little more background information would help clear everything up.

• In a new study, researchers from University of California, San Diego have found that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. Publishing a paper in the journal PLOS ONE, the team analyzed over a billion anonymous status updates from more than 100 million Facebook subscribers across the United States and found that positive posts beget positive posts and negative posts beget negative posts. They said that while both are common on the site, the positive posts are more influential. They concluded, “We have enough power in this data set to show that emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

When looking at both #3 and #4, #4 for sure took the win on this one. Both had good detail but #4 went into far more detail and gave a lot of background information which would help clarify questions that the reader might have. Also, #4 gave the results of the experiment which showed what the researchers found out. I also liked how all the research flowed with each other. 

Research Nugget #7

Citation: Norvig, P. (2012). ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. New Scientist,216(2889), i-8.

The article that I am doing my research nugget 7 on is titled, Artificial Intelligence.

In the real world, uncertainty takes many forms. It could be an opponent trying to prevent you from reaching your goal, say. It could be that the repercussions of one decision do not become apparent until later — you might swerve your car to avoid a collision without knowing if it is safe to do so — or that new information becomes available during a task. An intelligent program must be capable of handling all this input and more.”

an important question to ask is what is the purpose of AI? Why do we need them? How will they help us? These are the questions asked by researchers and programmers when they are designing and building different and new types of AI. A common issue that have many people confused is that when the word artificial intelligence is mentioned they automatically think of robots caring out day to day activities that normally humans will do. Instead AI can range from a huge robot to a simple program that can help make our lives easier. AI technology has been part of our day to day lives ever since the early 2000’s and they have really picked up in past couple of years. I feel that the development of AI has highly increased in cars, with all the different sensors and different cameras that detect the outside environment.

More than half a century after the introduction of AI, three key developments could augur the emergence of machine intelligence. New insights from neuroscience and cognitive science are leading to new hardware and software designs. The development of the internet provides access to a vast store of global data. It may even be possible for AI to evolve on its own” 

The evolution of AI is highly dependent on the development of other areas of studies. For everything to mix well with each other they all must be on the same level of technological advancement. Development in neuroscience and cognitive science are very important for the development of AI because it allows the AI to think at a higher level for them to expand their knowledge and evolve and learn from their surrounding environment. An AI that only has one task and cannot learn anything else is not that effective in the long run. However a AI that can learn new tasks as the days go by become highly more effective and more worthwhile.

Research Nugget 6.5

Pruthi, S. (2012). Wireless Robotics: A History, an Overview, and the Need for Standardization. Wireless Personal Communications64(3), 597-609. doi:10.1007/s11277-012-0603-9

The article that my research nugget 6 is focused on is titled, Wireless Robotics: A History, an Overview, and the Need for Standardization.

This article is talking about how the field of robotics and AI is one of the most rapidly advancing fields and how that their influence will play a big role in our future. The us of AI and robots is that they can help make our lives easier and more effective  but they will also help to improve communities and nations as a whole. How far the field of robotics will advance can only be determined but human creativity.  The two upmost important things when it comes to robotics is wireless robotics and the idea of standardization. With standardization their can be a level of stability for the development of robotics and different companies and nations will know what not and what not to do. This will ensure that certain robots are not to advanced than the rest.

“Robots attempt to solve problems and accomplish tasks that are either unsafe or inconvenient for humans, and if we as cordless creatures often cannot do these tasks, restraining a robot with wires will require a human in close proximity following the robot. Although tethered robots have been successful in some missions such as in deep-sea exploration with a tethered submersible & the Djei robot used to explore the Pyramids of Giza, however this tethering creates significant locomotive and explorative restrictions.”

“Yet, how do we design, build, and implement this robot? The current state of the industry demonstrates an inherent need for standardization. This eliminates the concern for a lack of both inter-compatibility and global scalability of research projects. If advanced Artificial Intelligence software is being developed in USA, how does one know it can be easily be inte- grated to work with next generation radios from Denmark and sensors from Japan? Often, it is not the case that minimal changes need to be made in order to ensure compatibility. Interface standardization is a definite requirement for scalable and rapid advancement.”

Nowadays everything is starting to become wireless just because it is more effective and less of a hassle to deal with multiple wires. I feel what started it all was the development of bluetooth, the ability to transfer information such as phone calls, and music from one device to another without the worry of wires. In the world of robotics, a robot that is plugged in versus and robot that is wireless, the plugged in robot can only do so much since it is restricted by a wire, so mobility is cut down as well as effectiveness to carry out the task. Now, when looking at the wireless robot, so many more options open up. Instead of worrying how far the wire can go or what events can the robot do companies are instead focused on how to program the robot to overcome obstacles in the house such as stairs, doors, furniture and so on. Also with a wired robot, I feel that you really can’t use that particular for multiple reasons.

Another important thing in the field of robotics is the idea of standardization.  I feel that with the idea of standardization it can help spread the idea of robotics and allow for the use of robotics around the world. Also with standardization countries or companies can’t really go above of what is allowed and they have to meet all standards. With the idea of standards, the robots can be universal which can help different companies collaborate together and so on.

After reading the article on “Personal Dynamic Media” it got me thinking on how the idea shows similarity to the idea of wireless technology and the issue of standaradization.

“Imagine having your own self-contained knowledge manipulator in a portable package the size and shape of an ordinary notebook. Suppose it had enough power to outrace your senses of sight and hearing, enough capacity to store for later retrieval thousands of page-equivalents of reference materials, poems, letters, recipes, records, drawings, animations, musical scores, waveforms, dynamic simulations, and anything else you would like to remember and change. “

Everything now a days is becoming portable because people are understanding the importance of mobility and accessibility. Now if the Dynabook was connected to plugs, such as a power cord and an internet cable and so on it would make the device pointless, you might as built a computer. And not only that, each Dynabook as the same ability and they are same size, not one is better than the other and so on. This allows for the ability to change information between tablets, for example if a kid wants to share his artwork with another kid it would be simple they wouldn’t run into the issue of the devices not being compatible with each other.

Research Nugget #6

Concept Experience #5

Part 1

Facebook tinkered with users’ feeds for a massive psychology experiment

By William Hughes

Jun 27, 2014 3:30 PM

Scientists at Facebook have published a paper showing that they manipulated the content seen by more than 600,000 users in an attempt to determine whether this would affect their emotional state. The paper, “Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks,” was published in The Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences. It shows how Facebook data scientists tweaked the algorithm that determines which posts appear on users’ news feeds—specifically, researchers skewed the number of positive or negative terms seen by randomly selected users. Facebook then analyzed the future postings of those users over the course of a week to see if people responded with increased positivity or negativity of their own, thus answering the question of whether emotional states can be transmitted across a social network. Result: They can! Which is great news for Facebook data scientists hoping to prove a point about modern psychology. It’s less great for the people having their emotions secretly manipulated.

In order to sign up for Facebook, users must click a box saying they agree to the Facebook Data Policy , giving the company the right to access and use the information posted on the site. The policy lists a variety of potential uses for your data, most of them related to advertising, but there’s also a bit about “internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and service improvement.” In the study, the authors point out that they stayed within the data policy’s liberal constraints by using machine analysis to pick out positive and negative posts, meaning no user data containing personal information was actually viewed by human researchers. And there was no need to ask study “participants” for consent, as they’d already given it by agreeing to Facebook’s terms of service in the first place.

Facebook data scientist Adam Kramer is listed as the study’s lead author. In an interview the company released a few years ago, Kramer is quoted as saying he joined Facebook because “Facebook data constitutes the largest field study in the history of the world.” It’s a charming reminder that Facebook isn’t just the place you go to see pictures of your friends’ kids or your racist uncle’s latest rant against the government—it’s also an exciting research lab, with all of us as potential test subjects.

Part 2

When reading the article,  it took me some time to decide on which words or which phrases I wanted to use as hyperlinks. So the first thing that I did, was just search up more information on Facebook and their emotion experiment. Once I found different sources and articles, it became easier to decide which phrases to use as hyperlinks. Once I found a relatable and good article, I looked over the original article too see phrases sentences that show similarity to both the original and new article. I picked up my sources based on which site they originated from, if I saw articles that originated from blog sites or so I would not credit them, instead I chose articles that originated from credible sources.

After adding different hyperlinks to the articles, I feel that it contained more information that was useful compared to how the  article originally was which just displayed little or no proper information. Certain information that I would like to develop more is how they carried out their experiment, like specific steps, and the proper and full results from that experiment.