Uncategorized

We Real Cool Persona

The Pool Players.

Seven at the Golden Shovel.

We real cool. We

Left school. We

Lurk late. We

Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We

Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We

Die soon.

This poem had a little bit of a “bad boy” vibe to it. It reminded me of a few teenagers who are rebellious, by skipping school, partying hard, and not thinking twice. They also would have the motto of YOLO, as they dont care if they hurt themselves by making bad decisions. This poem particularly reminds me of my new favorite TV show, the Outer Banks. If you have seen it, its extremely addictive, and reminds me of a modern day Goonies. The main characters, who call themselves the Pogues, are on a dangerous mission to find hidden gold. If I had to narrow it down to one character, it would be JJ, played by Rudy Pankow. He is known for skipping school to surf or hang with friends, staying up all night, doing illegal things, and all without a care in the world. His friend group is considered the outcasts, and the “bad kids” of the town. The line “sing sin we thin gin” is a perfect line to describe their reputations. This poem is also very simple and straight to the point, which can describe JJ’s personality to a T. Hes just a plain jane teenager, who gets into really bad situations!

Uncategorized

Distinguishing a Poem From a Play/Novel

Noelle Devera:  I completely agree! In poetry, you are able to see more into the character’s minds, such as their thoughts, emotions, etc. In plays, you can do this, but sometimes it requires breaking the fourth wall. Characters in poetry are more easily developed through words, while characters in plays have to be developed through the commitment of the actors.”

In this discussion, I elaborated that a poem could differ from a play by how the character development. In poetry, we are able to feel emotions of certain characters by the use of figurative language, and structure. In plays, we are able to feel the emotions of the characters by the acting. Sometimes this can be lost, due to the commitment of the actors. In poems, everything is written down, so we don’t have to play the guessing game on how they are feeling.

Jay:  “Even though all writing genres have a common medium, poetry is distinguished from the rest by its emphasis on imagery and rhythm. Plays and novels, while text based, have crucial structures such as setting, character, and  conflict that are not necessary in poems (though they can also make an appearance).”

I agree with what Jay had to say about differentiating poems from novels. Poetry can be whatever you want it to be, while novels have a specific structure that they need to follow in order to be called a novel. Poetry can be very short or it can be long, while a novel tends to run on the longer side.

KAT:I agree with @EB Fox about the big differences between poetry and novel structure. Length and form are some of the many ways to separate them. Novels are much longer, they have standard rules of capitalization, chapters, and grammar while poetry can have a bit more freedom. In addition, we can recognize epic poems from regular novels by the content, form other than just the length.  About form, poetry tends to follow a certain rules of themselves to be defined into genres that novel does not have like rhythm or the way the poet chooses words.

Kat has similar ideas to what Jay has, as they both think poetry has a little more wiggle room. Novels follow rules that poetry doesn’t necessarily have too. They have to have proper punctuation, proper grammar, and full sentences. They are also pretty lengthly. Poems are free birds, which makes them a lot better in my opinion. Sometimes rules aren’t fun to follow!!!

Uncategorized

William Wordsworth Illustration

In my original post, I defined poetry as a literary work that expresses some type of feeling, or emotion.  In the poem “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” composed around 1804 by William Wordsworth, the feeling was expressed through figurative language. In this instance,  personification seemed to be the most reoccurring.

I wandered lonely as a Cloud   That floats on high o’er Vales and Hills,When all at once I saw a crowd,   A host of golden Daffodils;Beside the Lake, beneath the trees,Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine   And twinkle on the Milky Way,They stretched in never-ending line   Along the margin of a bay:Ten thousand saw I at a glance,Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they   Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:—A Poet could not but be gay   In such a jocund company:I gazed—and gazed—but little thoughtWhat wealth the shew to me had brought:

For oft when on my couch I lie   In vacant or in pensive mood,They flash upon that inward eye   Which is the bliss of solitude,And then my heart with pleasure fills,And dances with the Daffodils.

This poem has a rhythmic pattern to it, with a quatrain couplet rhyme scheme. The author was expressing how joyful he was to be spending his time outside, and used personification to really connect man to nature. The use of the figurative language really aided the reader into feeling what the author felt in the moment. The author continuously used the verb of dancing to describe the objects he saw, which gives off the feeling of a happy, joyful experience. He also seemed to really enjoy the daffodils, as they were mentioned more than once. This poem does a really good job of describing the moment, as the real instance was probably only a few seconds long. Even though it was a short period of time, he absorbed every moment, and every detail, as if he was just a cloud floating by.

After reading some posts from other classmates, I found that we can agree on a few things. We agreed on a rhyme sequence, the mood of the poem, and how it connects man to nature. I learned that this poem would be considered a piece of Romantic Poetry. I saw a few posts emphasizing how this poem resembles a song, in which I would agree with. I found myself singing along with it as I read it! Looking back at the student’s original post, I found that they defined poetry as “an art that uses words”, and I couldn’t say it better myself.

Uncategorized

What is Poetry??

To me, poetry is a way of expressing something. It can be rhythmic, or not. It could be extremely short, or extremely long! Without doing research, some types of poetry that come to my mind are haikus, free verse, narratives, and epics. My favorite kind are the ones that rhyme, because they feel like a song. Some examples would include “Down by the Salley Gardens”, by Y.B Yeats, or “Incident”, by Countee Cullen. Poetry is a very detailed art that requires a lot of interpretation, and some hold it very close to their heart.

After reading some blog posts from my classmates, I feel that I have a broader sense of poetry. I was able to see poetry from the perspective of a painting, as it can be abstract, generic, or almost like a story. I also read a post that explained how poetry can be confusing, as it is very similar to human emotion.I thought that this article did a great job of comparing the two, and it helped me understand a little bit better. In another post, a classmate defined a poem as a piece of literary work  that appealed to all of the senses. After thinking about it, this is very true! poems can evoke all kinds of reactions and emotions, depending on the reader. Although, I think we all agreed on one certain detail; that poetry is a way of expressing something, even though they come in a variety.

Uncategorized

Intro!

Hi guys! My name is Noelle, and I am an HPEX major, on a Pre-PA track. Im taking this course to fulfill a Gen-Ed credit, but Im actually excited about it. I am in 3 other summer courses, so I will be pretty busy this season. Im (trying) to graduate early, so summer classes seemed like a good choice! I just recently adopted a Mini Australian Shepherd, and she is a lot of work! She is very smart, and loves to have my full attention. I am also a free lance makeup artist, and spend my time working in weddings, portrait sessions, and other fun stuff. Due to COVID_19, most of my bookings were postponed until the Fall, so I shouldn’t have to worry about that this summer. Other than that, I am pretty much going to be focusing on my classes, and don’t have a lot of other commitments. I will most likely be completing work for this course later in the day, but I am pretty flexible. I would like to say I am somewhat familiar with poetry, as I studied it a few years in high school. Im really looking forward to this class!