Assessment and Feedback Inventories

While analyzing the Assessment and Feedback Inventories I realized how the large majority of assignments and feedback is identical within the courses I lead.  This is something I have been dealing with since I started last August.  I believe there is a tremendous amount of opportunity for the academic course that facilitates a student’s internship to be dynamic and interactive, assisting students to build their portfolio and personal brand as they graduate and enter the workforce.

I believe previous individuals have struggled to harness this opportunity based on their preferences and mainly due to the sheer volume of students supervised.  I personally discovered how difficult it was to create changes to the course during winter break when I was only able to finalize a small portion of the ideas I hoped for.  In my head I thought winter break would be a great opportunity to utilize down time to make changes, but quickly found that as soon as fall internships were wrapping up whatever down time I may of had was consumed with spring internship proposals and contracts.

The new assessment idea I have to implement will be turning final self evaluations from a boring paper assignment where students type responses to prompted questions into an opportunity for students to reflect on their experience utilizing a short video.   I think this will be a welcome change for students and if implemented with a rampage blog system would be an opportunity for them to share valuable information for future students interested in the same site.

As the course instructor I am personally hoping to find out how honest students are with their internship review.  I often believe students write what they think I want to hear with hopes of getting a better grade.  The video format would challenge students to fabricate experiences they did not have and to be brutally honest about their internship.  This is exactly what I want to know and think future students would benefit from knowing.

Creating information for the new assignment will be easy, though require a significant amount of work on my end.  I will need to be 100% fully functioning with wordpress before it is used by students for the course and I will need to also ensure there is a way for individual share digital media that avoids any potential issues on my end as the course instructor.  The actual assignment will simply involve changing the current document into a modified version, informing students to utilize the prompts as a guide while creating their video evaluation.  I would also take the current instructions for maximize video media provided during a mock skype interview assignment (using interviewstream) to ensure students present themselves in a professional manner with the recording.