Blog Posts with Comments

OLE-S16 – Dr. Battistelli's Blog 2016-04-08 16:58:24 - The best part about the OLE is that I now look really tech and teaching savvy. Colleagues that have been teaching on-line for years are interested in what I have to show them from the course, so it really is a valuable experience.
OLE Review - Prepare to re-think your pedagogy!! As a scientist I had no formal training in pedagogy prior to the OLE. There were a lot of things I thought I was doing right that I now have to re-think. I’m also having mild existential crisis over my course goals and whether I am truly fostering learning, or … Continue reading OLE Review
formative vs summative - Teaching and learning are both hard. How do I get students to realize that? I put a lot of effort into making my 151 lecture a “flipped” classroom where students come to class in order to do work on problem sets in groups so they can teach each other. However, a single in class assignment … Continue reading formative vs summative
So long and thanks for all the fish (ing polls) - I  know that except for  the (ing polls) this is the title to one of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy books because I googled it to make sure.  I definitely have more tools that I had to start.  Now if I could just find more time.  Summer is coming and it starts with such … 
    Comments:
Content Part Two - Well Kahura did download, but I got this message “Please launch from the add new menu on your website”  HUH?   Googled and found nothing.  Tried listening to video called Kaltura Introduction prepared by the guys that are suppose to know what they are doing.  The first two minutes or so was pure static.  There was … 
    Comments:
Course Content –Part one - As usual it was trauma and tension.  I have a logit tech camcorder that I have  used before without issue.  Looked like it was recording until I did the playback.  Wasted about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong.  Finally gave up and moved to the web cam in the laptop.  I use … 
    Comments:
Assessment - Roxanne Spindle ACCT 507 Fundamentals of Accounting I am really excited about this assignment and not just because it is the last one before the wrap up.  In fact, I need to learn sandbox before I can close out topic 6.  Not to mention that my video and other new content are just notes and … 
    Comments:
Week 3 Assignment (catching up) - Ok, so I missed this assignment back in Week 3. Writing about course goals. Course goals are something I spend a lot of free time thinking about, so this particular week wasn’t something I was thrilled about, although it was still helpful. I did find some useful information in the syllabi that I collected, although, […]
    Comments:
Week 7: Assessment - Ok – this one I struggle on. I am way, way, WAY too locked in to teaching the way 1. I learn 2.) My teachers taught. This flows right into assessment, where I still rely heavily on quizzes, test, etc. to measure a student’s learning. I’ve got to change that. The course I currently teach […]
    Comments:
Week 5: Creating Content Part Two - Admittedly, I’m in a bit of a hurry here, attempting to catch up on past OLE work by Friday. So, for the second part of Week 5, I’ve decided to create a quick infographic through Canva, which I found very easy to use and a lot of fun. This is not actually very informative, but […]
    Comments:
Week 5: Creating Content - Ok, so this week has been helpful. As I mention in the video below, I’ve done a lot of audio recording and editing in the past, but not a lot of video work. So, it was great for me to explore a few different ways of recording videos. For the test video below, I used […]
    Comments:
Assessments and Feedback — Oh My! - Assessments and feedback are my least favorite part of teaching a course. It’s hard to objectively measure “student learning” when I am attempting to focus on how far they have come, an appropriate pedagogy for all (including oppressed peoples), and meeting the standards of my program. Some students work really hard and show a lot of growth and demonstrate the capacity for “A” thinking even …
Wrap-up Comments - I am happy that I took this course though often it took more than 3-5 hours per week, thought a major reason for this is that a lot of interesting potentially value-adding information & resources were provided which took time to go through. Apart from value in exploring several digital tools, assignments such as “Created … Continue reading Wrap-up Comments
    Comments:
Small steps forward - I can get to my google drive from the ole google drive. Still cannot get my course goals into the ole folder. But there is always hope.
FINDING (AND CURATING) RESOURCES - First my inventory INVENTORY OF RESOURCES  (It is on my google drive and open to anyone at VCU — but I cannot find my google drive!  So much left to learn.) A fairly uninspired but free on-line textbook. Four million or so YouTube videos on accounting. About as many written articles on various topics in … 
Week 4: Finding Resources - Ok, so it’s been a while. I’m working on catching up on my OLE work, and am just now getting to the “finding resources” assignments. I’m not sure how common this is, but in my case, the online class I am developing is a scaled-down version of a class I currently offer for music majors […]
    Comments:
So long, and goodnight! - Well, I was definitely reminded today that I still have SO MUCH to learn!  I made a short video with the highlights of my time in OLE, but it was too large to post here.  I am unsure what the best option is, so I uploaded it, and you can see my reflections here. Yes, that … Continue reading So long, and goodnight!
Course Syllabus - I am one of those who got too fall behind to complete the course. But I am going to try to get a week or two more done before the end of the week.   I am committed to putting together a on line version of my course by the spring semester and the way my … 
    Comments:
    Comments:
Creating Content - I definitely got a lot out of this week’s module in creating content. I absolutely HATE the way I look on video (how vain of me), but I know that students appreciate this, so I made an intro video for my summer Social Work and Social Justice class. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. But it definitely isn’t my favorite thing …
Assessment and Feedback Inventories - While analyzing the Assessment and Feedback Inventories I realized how the large majority of assignments and feedback is identical within the courses I lead.  This is something I have been dealing with since I started last August.  I believe there is a tremendous amount of opportunity for the academic course that facilitates a student’s internship to be dynamic […]
Searching for Materials - Wow, I’m really behind in posting for the OLE. A minor setback of pneumonia will do that…and I’m back to work full steam now. I recently found out that I’m going to be teaching a distance ed social justice class in the summer for foundation MSW students. I’m really excited about the opportunity to teach this class; social justice is one of my passions and why I …
Assessment - This has been another value-adding exercise for me. Although over the years my course outline has described how assessment would be done and each I have told the students the purpose of each component, before this exercise I hadn’t formally documented the primary purpose for each assessment component. The fact that I have now documented  this has … Continue reading Assessment
    Comments:
E-government Assessment - I enjoyed creating the open government timeline. It encouraged me to integrate resources from diverse sources. It also helped me develop a comprehensive appreciation for key developments in open government. Finally, viewing the final product was rewarding. Perhaps a timeline will be the first assessment I develop for the new course. Regarding potential challenges, TimelineJS… Read More E-government Assessment
kid video for quant bio - Wow, making a video was beyond time consuming. I had this grandiose idea that I would introduce myself, and then use my iPad like a digital whiteboard to go over why and how we make graphs in the sciences, and then do a screen capture of how to actually make a graph in Excel. I … Continue reading kid video for quant bio
Assessment and Feedback - In taking an inventory of the current assessments I’m using, I found that there is much room for improvement.  While assessment for training will usually have a somewhat different look and feel from that of the classroom, the tools learned thus far in OLE are going to help immensely in designing and implementing new activities … Continue reading Assessment and Feedback
Great Expectations… - As soon as I began the readings for this week, I felt that everything we currently do in class is insufficient  I know this isn’t true, but we can make good changes in several assessments to better align with the course goals.  We encourage discussion of problems every day in class—allowing for mistakes, reevaluation, correction, … Continue reading Great Expectations…
ScreenCast - I enjoyed Molly’s introductory video. I appreciated the blend of pictures, graphics and video used to deliver the message. I also appreciated the practical recommendations. I used Snagit to develop a screencast. Snagit was very easy to install and to use. It will be a valuable tool as I develop my online e-government course.  I… Read More ScreenCast
I took a left turn at ‘make a video’ - One of last week’s assignments was to make a video tutorial/introduction/something. I balked, and I will get it done, but I’m not ready to right now, unless  you’re looking for a watermelon explosion. Instead I decided to take my current ‘bricks & mortar’ class a little more online. I already use a wiki in my […]
Assessment and Feedback - On a grander scheme, the assessment and feedback that a student gets within the mysore-ashtanga context is that of the practice being the teacher. Practitioners get the feedback they need over time by just showing up to the mat. They may learn they are too aggressive and grabby as they face injuries over and over. They … Continue reading Assessment and Feedback
Success (kind of) Finally! - I have finally completed some semblances of assigned course content.  I spent a considerable amount of time collecting content for a video and hacked syllabus and explored a couple of different video-making programs.  I wanted to incorporate some different elements into the video but ran into lots of issues trying to record myself (phone audio […]
Creating Resources – Video - I’ve used Camtasia to make how to videos for about a year now.  For the most part, I just record my screen with a voice narration.  Recently found the – enable noise removal – feature which really improved the quality of the sound.  Although I record in a relatively quiet location, there was still background … Continue reading Creating Resources – Video
Finding & Curating Resources - I have been teaching the Data Warehousing (DW) course since 1999. In the beginning there were few academic textbooks so I used practitioner-oriented books. Then I realized that a lot of the material was freely available from various sites on the internet. So after a few years I stopped having any required textbook though I … Continue reading Finding & Curating Resources
A Phage Infographic - I think I have always secretly wanted to make an infographic. This make is a perfect make for me and I decided to use it for a class project this week. We have loads of data from sequencing the DNA of 11 different bacteriophages (viruses that infect bacteria).  My spring 2016 class has just finished […]
Creative Syllabus - After reviewing the remakes given to us, I really liked the more engaging looked of a creative syllabus!  When I first started to remake my syllabus, I added the course goal question to the top: I also changed the grading section to a pie chart for a better visual.  I love this pie chart but … Continue reading Creative Syllabus
It takes time… - Finding good resources takes time, as I found out last week.  This week I was reminded that creating good resources takes even more time!  In the past I have made a few videos using Camtasia and Snagit, all of me explaining how to work a problem with the screen showing only my computations.  It was … Continue reading It takes time…
MakeInfographic - I had a bigger idea in mind that really expanded upon the ideas below, but it appeared the infographic design I thought was a template was someone else’s work posted to a gallery.  When I realized how to use the free templates it seemed somewhat more restrictive and after spending 30 minutes trying to make the text I […]
Ashtanga: Opening and Closing Mantras - The Ashtanga opening and closing mantras, sung verses or chants, are an important part of the Ashtanga practice and one that students often feel hesitation about and/or are not sure the best way to learn. Opening and Closing Mantras (sorry, this is an old written on copy) Although we sing these mantras as a way … Continue reading Ashtanga: Opening and Closing Mantras
Finding Resources -   My inventory of resources seems to grow daily…from training presentations put together by colleagues to OMB webinars to resources shared by generous universities  and the list goes on. Stanford University does a great job of organizing their resources for researchers, and I always get ideas from visiting their web page.  Virginia Tech has an … Continue reading Finding Resources
New class, new format, new resources - This week was pretty overwhelming, attempting to find resources, things, people, etc.  It finally occurred to me that one reason this is all so challenging is that I am developing a new doctoral level course I’ve never taught before AND developing an online course for the first time.  That’s a lot all at once.  And […]
Introducing Computational Thinking - For any life sciences student in 2016, we should be introducing computational thinking as a formative skill, like arithmetic and reading. In our current python programming course, we know what it looks like to teach ‘tools’ in the classroom. It’s easy to fall back to teaching programming from a very practical perspective. In the future, […]
Hack Your Syllabus - Since I give training sessions on topics that have complex work flows involving federal regulations, VCU policies, and processes, I’ve changed some of the “syllabi”, which for me are more of a table of contents or set of learning objectives, into flow charts using Visio.  I don’t think of one as replacing the other but … Continue reading Hack Your Syllabus
Finding Resources Blog (Week Four OLE-16) - Here are I am one week late trying to write a blog on Week-Four finding resources.  I have been searching and discovering new resources and figuring out ways to incorporate them in my existing course materials.  I have to admit that there is so much information and technology out there that makes this task daunting […]
    Comments:
Creating Goals and Syllabi - Here’s what I learned about creating more relevant and interesting goals/subgoals from this exercise: Let the subgoals bloom from one distilled central concept…then ask the key questions that will lead the learner to that concept, leaving the path broad enough to allow for individual approach.   From the TED talk, I was intrigued with the “opportunity cost” […]
Finding Resources - There are so many options! My students already complain that my course goes too fast. I want them to be able to apply the content of my course to various news stories, but then that’s more work and more content. I wish more of my students realized learning is work. On of my friends, @kemckee2003, … Continue reading Finding Resources