Blog Posts

The best part about the OLE is that I now look really tech and teaching savvy. Colleagues that have been teaching on-line for years are interested in what I have to show them from the course, so it really is a valuable experience.
Prepare to re-think your pedagogy!! As a scientist I had no formal training in pedagogy prior to the OLE. There were a lot of things I thought I was doing right that I now have to re-think. I’m also having mild existential crisis over my course goals and whether I am truly fostering learning, or … Continue reading OLE Review
Teaching and learning are both hard. How do I get students to realize that? I put a lot of effort into making my 151 lecture a “flipped” classroom where students come to class in order to do work on problem sets in groups so they can teach each other. However, a single in class assignment … Continue reading formative vs summative
I  know that except for  the (ing polls) this is the title to one of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy books because I googled it to make sure.  I definitely have more tools that I had to start.  Now if I could just find more time.  Summer is coming and it starts with such … 
Well Kahura did download, but I got this message “Please launch from the add new menu on your website”  HUH?   Googled and found nothing.  Tried listening to video called Kaltura Introduction prepared by the guys that are suppose to know what they are doing.  The first two minutes or so was pure static.  There was … 
As usual it was trauma and tension.  I have a logit tech camcorder that I have  used before without issue.  Looked like it was recording until I did the playback.  Wasted about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong.  Finally gave up and moved to the web cam in the laptop.  I use … 
Roxanne Spindle ACCT 507 Fundamentals of Accounting I am really excited about this assignment and not just because it is the last one before the wrap up.  In fact, I need to learn sandbox before I can close out topic 6.  Not to mention that my video and other new content are just notes and … 
Ok, so I missed this assignment back in Week 3. Writing about course goals. Course goals are something I spend a lot of free time thinking about, so this particular week wasn’t something I was thrilled about, although it was still helpful. I did find some useful information in the syllabi that I collected, although, […]
Ok – this one I struggle on. I am way, way, WAY too locked in to teaching the way 1. I learn 2.) My teachers taught. This flows right into assessment, where I still rely heavily on quizzes, test, etc. to measure a student’s learning. I’ve got to change that. The course I currently teach […]
Admittedly, I’m in a bit of a hurry here, attempting to catch up on past OLE work by Friday. So, for the second part of Week 5, I’ve decided to create a quick infographic through Canva, which I found very easy to use and a lot of fun. This is not actually very informative, but […]
Ok, so this week has been helpful. As I mention in the video below, I’ve done a lot of audio recording and editing in the past, but not a lot of video work. So, it was great for me to explore a few different ways of recording videos. For the test video below, I used […]
Assessments and feedback are my least favorite part of teaching a course. It’s hard to objectively measure “student learning” when I am attempting to focus on how far they have come, an appropriate pedagogy for all (including oppressed peoples), and meeting the standards of my program. Some students work really hard and show a lot of growth and demonstrate the capacity for “A” thinking even …
I am happy that I took this course though often it took more than 3-5 hours per week, thought a major reason for this is that a lot of interesting potentially value-adding information & resources were provided which took time to go through. Apart from value in exploring several digital tools, assignments such as “Created … Continue reading Wrap-up Comments
I can get to my google drive from the ole google drive. Still cannot get my course goals into the ole folder. But there is always hope.
First my inventory INVENTORY OF RESOURCES  (It is on my google drive and open to anyone at VCU — but I cannot find my google drive!  So much left to learn.) A fairly uninspired but free on-line textbook. Four million or so YouTube videos on accounting. About as many written articles on various topics in …