New class, new format, new resources

This week was pretty overwhelming, attempting to find resources, things, people, etc.  It finally occurred to me that one reason this is all so challenging is that I am developing a new doctoral level course I’ve never taught before AND developing an online course for the first time.  That’s a lot all at once.  And to say that I am not someone who is tech savvy is an understatement; before the OLE course, Facebook and YouTube were pretty much the only apps I’d ever used.

I also did not find that many resources despite spending a significant amount of time looking.  I’m not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if it’s just the course that I’m trying to develop, but I had a hard time finding relevant material.  I found some “videos” but they were mainly recordings of instructors giving lectures and not too inspiring or engaging.  There were a couple of cute cartoons comparing qualitative and quantitative approaches, but none of them presented the issues quite in the way I wanted to.  I tried both Feedly and Diigo to find people, but also had little success.  There were a few folks who seemed to have positions related to online teaching (which now that I think about, I DO need), but no one really offering anything related to my course.  I guess the good news is that should I ever master the art of creating quality online resources, there is a HUGE market for material on qualitative methods.  I guess we’ll see how this week’s creation assignment goes….