Week 5: Creating Content Part Two

Admittedly, I’m in a bit of a hurry here, attempting to catch up on past OLE work by Friday. So, for the second part of Week 5, I’ve decided to create a quick infographic through Canva, which I found very easy to use and a lot of fun. This is not actually very informative, but it does highlight an important point of studying world music. It’s easy to assume that all hand drums are “African” or “Indian”, when, in fact, they all have unique and interesting evolutions as musical instruments and as cultural objects from a variety of cultures. Drums are the oldest musical instruments, and the only type of instrument found in every musical culture. Congas, djembes, derebuccas, and doumbeks are just a few of the hand drums commonly referred to as “bongos”. Bongos are actually a specific type of instrument developed in Afro-Cuban music. Hopefully I will be able to have my students recognize culturally-appropriate musical instruments (especially percussion instruments). In case you’re wondering, the drums in the lower left corner are the bongos.