unhappy workaholics

For Husserl, the lifeworld that we as individuals experience every day is, essentially, as co-subjective solidification of the values, commodities and structures of our society.  Habermas discussed the concept further when he argued the idea of the colonization of the lifeworld; that is, that the ruling entities in our society (for Americans and much of the Western world, the state and the economy) have with their ideas, colonized us and the public sphere.  In this article, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bonnie-kavoussi/we-still-are-our-jobs_b_4247999.html, the author discusses how Americans once loved their jobs, how our nation was once filled with people who possibly worked too much, but at least that was because they actually had jobs they wanted and enjoyed – jobs that helped them define themselves.  However, she goes on to say that this is no longer the case.  Americans are still primarily ruled by their jobs, but that this is no longer an investment of choice, but rather by need, just to survive in an increasingly rough economy controlled by employers (i.e., owners).  As Habermas amended Husserl’s argument through a lens of government and economic control of people’s every day perception and identity, he would likely identify the argument in this article a prime example of the common people interacting and identifying through a place of economic oppression, rather than having a healthy public sphere of community dialogue.  Unfortunately, this idea only illustrates how people are losing power rather than gaining power, as the distinction between the owners and the workers in this country becomes more and more distinct.

3 thoughts on “unhappy workaholics”

1. I really like the example that you used. I think it is important to see the impact the owners have on our daily lives. It is so sad and down right frightening to think of how hard Americans work, especially when compared to other countries, and how completely miserable everyone is. Maybe this is why we have some of the highest rates of depression. I wish there was some way to change it so that the workload could be lightened up and people could actually live a life worth living.

2. This was a great post. I see your example in everyday life. When we look for jobs sometimes we go for the money. That seems to be the goal of many people because they have to provide for their family. It sometimes affects our society because we lose concept of one self. We try to justify with different reasons on why we work at a certain place versus leaving. Habermas was correct on stating we are being colonized and its definitely shown through your example.

3. I enjoyed your topic. I think that people are very unsatisfied with their jobs now-a-days versus how things used to be. I think of teachers whom used to be respected and teachers taking pride in the educational field. Now, it’s low wages for more responsibilities and bigger class sizes. It’s hard for people to enjoy a profession that is cluddered with stress and unneccesary bs.